Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MTM Wedding suit: What to request?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stillife, Sep 6, 2011.

1. stillife

stillife Active Member

I am planning on having a suit made to measure for my wedding. I likely will be choosing my fabrics, sillouhette, details, etc. and having my measurements taken at a local men's shop by a guy who isn't a tailor, but has been in this business for decades. He uses H. Freeman, a Maryland, U.S. based company to make the suits (not Hickey Freeman).

As it is a winter wedding with a church ceremony at 2 p.m. and evening reception, I am going to go with a solid charcoal suit. I'd like to get peaked lapels, 2 buttons, SB. Minimal shoulder padding. Tropical weight wool. Double vents. Flat front pants with side tabs.

Regarding peaked lapels. I know the trend for notch lapels is narrow, but peaked are usually wider. Any suggestion on how wide a peaked lapel should be to ensure the peak is prominent and doesn't get "lost."

I plan to accompany the suit with a heather grey, double breasted vest, formal white shirt, maybe a black and white houndstooth tie, black oxfords.

I'm wondering what Styleforum's thoughts are on this ensemble, and if there are things I should consider changing. Also, I'm wondering if there are any suggestions when trying to communicate the look I am going for to the man who will be taking my measurements? I want a suit that I can wear for years, and I want a nice fitted look.

Thanks in advance.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

How about you get the suit made as an entire charcoal grey three-piece? Then you can wear the Heather grey double-breasted vest and houndstooth tie for the afternoon ceremony, and they switch to the matching vest with perhaps a solid silver tie for the evening?

I like the idea of peak lapels for a wedding suit...it makes it unique in comparison to what you might see your accountant wearing on a dull Tuesday...

3. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Love the idea. I agree that a three-piece would be perfect for the wedding. Sounds like you will look great

4. stillife

stillife Active Member

What kind of tie would fit well with a charcoal suit?

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Pretty much anything goes with charcoal, IMO. What color are the bridesmaid's dresses? You could consider a tie that coordinates for the ceremony.

Regarding the lapel width...do you actually have room to maneuver with the H Freeman MTM program? I have a blazer from them and there wasn't much customization I could request other than the type of lapel (not size), functional cuffs, vents and pick stitching.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

6. stillife

stillife Active Member

Bridesmaids will be in black, so I guess any wedding tie will be appropriate.

From what I learned in my consult, lapel width is customizable. Not sure exactly how flexible it is, but the guy I spoke with specifically asked me if I'd want a narrow lapel or a standard lapel. Maybe there are just a couple prototypes in that regard.

Were you able to get a nice fitted look in your blazer? Thoughts on H. Freeman in general, and their made to measure garments? Thanks.

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I don't like the idea of the groom's clothing or accessories matching the bridesmaids and/ or groomsmen. I think grooms should limit themselves to black, white, ivory, grey and silver...just as the bride is all in white...this way they stand out.

8. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

For an odd waistcoat with a charcoal suit I think that a buff waistcoat would look much better than heather grey since there would be more contrast. Heather grey also sounds dark for a charcoal suit. If it was a light grey it would work much better. Go with standard-width lapels. Narrow peak lapels will look silly.

9. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Are you committed to a db vest with lapels?

10. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I think that's a great choice. If it's double-breasted I think it looks much better with lapels. But a 3-piece suit rather than an odd waistcoat would be a more versatile choice.

11. stillife

stillife Active Member

I am not committed to having lapels on the DB vest. In fact, I may not have them at all. I do agree that a 3-piece would be more versatile; however, I like the idea of an odd vest in this situation, as it would offer contrast to the charcoal suit, be less "businessy" than a matching vest, and would be a subtle nod to the stroller ensemble.

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

If you do the coordinating vest and it is DB, definitely get lapels. I am still into my switching to a matching vest for the evening with a different tie...

13. stillife

stillife Active Member

What about a shawl collar? I too like the idea of switching vest/tie for the evening; will definitely do this is my budget allows me (which it may not!).

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I'd have to see it, but for daytime wear my first response would be "no."

15. E TF

E TF Senior member

All you choices sound good - I think you know what you're doing. I second the suggestion of a buff or pale grey waistcoat rather than heather grey though (and a matching one for the evening if your budget stretches) - I also like the sound of it having a shawl collar. I have just one query - why are you going for tropical weight wool when it's a winter wedding? The good thing about winter is the opportunity to wear proper cloth again!