• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MTM vs full retail

BeaconHillBoston

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
267
Reaction score
1
It seems like no one pays full retail on this site. How do you crafty dudes get your mtm for less?
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
It seems like no one pays full retail on this site. How do you crafty dudes get your mtm for less?
I didn't, which is one of the reasons I stopped purchasing MTM suits.
 

zerostyle

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
580
Reaction score
4
Moderntailor regularly puts out coupons here on SF.

Buy one of their sale fabrics ($40) - 20% coupon = $32 + shipping
 

BeaconHillBoston

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
267
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Moderntailor regularly puts out coupons here on SF.

Buy one of their sale fabrics ($40) - 20% coupon = $32 + shipping


True. Problem is, I have yet to see a really good suit from MT.

Their shirts a nice, though.
 

BeaconHillBoston

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
267
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by JayJay
I didn't, which is one of the reasons I stopped purchasing MTM suits.

Would you pay full retail for one really good mtm peice, or spring for two "decent" options @ discount. Problem is, due to having a 10 inch drop, alterations are going to be pretty extensive.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Would you pay full retail for one really good mtm peice, or spring for two "decent" options @ discount. Problem is, due to having a 10 inch drop, alterations are going to be pretty extensive.
It's easy for me to get a good fit from RTW, so the premium for MTM didn't make sense for me, especially since several of my RTW suits fit better than my MTM. In fact, I haven't worn any of my four MTM suits for over two years.
 

BeaconHillBoston

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
267
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's easy for me to get a good fit from RTW, so the premium for MTM didn't make sense for me, especially since several of my RTW suits fit better than my MTM. In fact, I haven't worn any of my four MTM suits for over two years.

Interesting. The search continues. What brands are you having good luck with?
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,687
Reaction score
66
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Interesting. The search continues. What brands are you having good luck with?

How much are you looking to spend?
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,908
Reaction score
667
For MTM, I always paid full retail. And the MTM I did was not with a Dept Store
a la Saks/ Niemans, etc. It was with a firm which also does bespoke. However,
I have been fortunate in getting some great high end RTW at major discounts.
I also have a superb alterations tailor who can, within some limits, fulfill my
fussiness about clothing.
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,687
Reaction score
66
Originally Posted by comrade
For MTM, I always paid full retail. And the MTM I did was not with a Dept Store
a la Saks/ Niemans, etc. It was with a firm which also does bespoke. However,
I have been fortunate in getting some great high end RTW at major discounts.
I also have a superb alterations tailor who can, within some limits, fulfill my
fussiness about clothing.


May one inquire about the identity of your superb alterations tailor?
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,908
Reaction score
667
Originally Posted by dragon8
May one inquire about the identity of your superb alterations tailor?

Bob Stankovic
Menlo Park, CA
650-323-9614

Several other Forum members recommend him.
He is the preferred outside tailor for Wilkes Bashford, Palo Alto.
There is another tailor in my area who comes highly recommneded
by the SF congnoscenti. His name escapes me.
Also, the name Franz rings a bell in the City ( San Francisco)
 

stylomilo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
There are occasions where the big names, as part of a promotion will offer MTM for the price of RTW ( eg Zegna ) Getting on their mailing list is the best way to be notified of such events
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
45
Stuff goes on sale because it's end of season or they've made too much.

MTM is made to order. Other then promo events I doubt you'll find sales on MTM.

There are often small tailors that will do MTM for much less then the name brands. If you can find a good one that's a choice.

The cheap choice is to give up on suits. Zegna makes drop 9 odd jackets . They aren't easy to find but they are out there. But even the normal Milano is drop 7. Easy enough to find on sale.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,456
Messages
9,448,631
Members
198,020
Latest member
techkid
Top