• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM vs bespoke for standard size guy

hineygate

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a MTM and bespoke suit. Originally, I was planning on getting a bespoke suit, however, since I am a pretty standard size (5'9", 38 inch chest, 32 inch waste), I'm wondering if the difference between bespoke and MTM will be worth it. Any opinions appreciated.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How I envy you!
Why not go for RTW? I have had some not very satisfying experiences with MTM and bespoke. If the stuff would fit me OTR -which it never does-, I would use the extra money implied by bespoke or even MTM on getting OTR suits of premium quality (and/or on shoes). Of course, if the money is not an issue, I would always prefer bespoke for the fun of discussing clothing issues with a tailor.

hineygate

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I've always bought OTR, because I can literally pick a suit off the rack and wear it without any alterations. However, I like the shape of english cut suits, and it seems to me that in order to get a quality RTW suit of this cut, one has to go to Savile Row or a high end department store. In either case, the cost seems to be similar to MTM with a smaller, although quality tailor and not much cheaper than some smaller bespoke outfits with good reputations.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think there is such a person as a "standard size guy" - only guys who wear things off the rack thinking that it fits properly. You will be shocked at how many faults the eye of a good tailor will be able to pick in it. If you think that is done with only the tailor's self interest in mind you will go through life in ignorant bliss.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that OTR with good alterations is a pretty good way to go for a standard sized guy. First, you have the suit in fron of you. You know, without necessarily having to articulate it, that you like the general style (cut, colors, material) and that the style fits you. A good tailor can make adjustments that will make the suit fit very well - he (it's invaribly a man) can change the pitch of the shoulder, fix the way the lapels hit the neckline, and so on. I think that if you cannot find exactly what you want, but know the style, that I woudl go next to MTM, and if that does not satisfy, then and only then to go to a tailor whose house-style appeals to you. This is important. Many tailors will cut a suit not in their housestyle, but when you have a tailor step outside his comfort zone, you never know how well it may turn out...

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try MTM/bespoke, then see if you can go back to wearing RTW
laugh.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I operate a sliding scale:

Bespoke I'll pay full whack for.
MTM I'll buy in the semi-annual sale.
RTW I'll buy on very deep discount only, and even then, only brands I KNOW fit me fairly well with minimal alterations (Brioni, RLPL to name two).

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a quite a few high quality MTM odd jackets and tweed suits that I wear in the country. I provided the fabric and the cut was copied from a Savile Row suit.

Good as those clothes are in the scheme of things, my bespoke jackets are more comfortable and move better as I move.

If the premium is painful but affordable, bespoke is worth it in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics