• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM, tweed addict, Connick and Locke, Sims and Mac Donald

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Hi there, Looking for a three piece tweed suit for my wedding; one that I can wear again for stage purposes (i'm a singer) and through extensive research, (saville row, tweed addict, cad and the dandy, brooks brothers) have found myself visiting both Connock and Lockie and Sims and MacDonald. Both very approachable. Connock being more approachable, which is not surprising at there price of £2400, and Sims quoting £1600.
I'm torn between the two! The main difference being that Connock are solely bespoke, with everythin being hand stiched and sims just hand cutting the cloth, with the rest machine stitched.
i suppose that i've awnsered my question, but would still appreciate any advise.
I was told fomr a good source that if I sourced the cloth myself, and went to these guys, that I would find something around £1500. Connock... are way off this.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
That's what i've decided to wear, and being English it compliments my tradition and my profession (I sing English songs)
Do you have an opinion about the two tailors?

emptym

Reaction score
^?

I'm a big fan of tradition, but I say wear whatever you want on your wedding. And that goes quintuple for a performance.

My only concern for tweed in both cases would be overheating. Sorry I don't know anything about either tailor.

Last edited:

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Thank you both for your permission to wear whatever I wish to my own wedding. I'm aware that it's not traditional for such an occasion, I was simply enquiring about the two tailors.

Emptym, I'm looking a very light cloth, probably 12 to 14 oz which should be ok for Cornwall, where incidentally traditionally is Celtic.

Thanks for your help though, I have been warned about blogs in general; people projecting their own agendas etc.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connock and Lockie has a more refined pedigree and, from what I've heard, cuts the better suit. Sims & MacDonald is a notch lower quality. Prices are reflective of this.

If you're new to the world of bespoke, you're not likely going to be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I dislike the choice of cloth, however I find the work of Connick very reasonable, they have a great selection of old Lesser.

Macallan

Reaction score
As far as I know, Sims only offer bespoke; and machine-stitiching is not a bad thing - do not confuse bespoke with hand stitching

Keep the process simple, do not source your own tweed. Both will have access to a lot of tweed cloths, unless you want something unique.

You need to decide if you want to pay £800 more for hand-stitching. From your post, it seems you should go with Sims; however, it would be helpful to know your suit experience.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Seems to me that the choice of cloth is irrelevant, for you're able to source any cloth from various establishments?

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Tweed aside, I'm looking for the best suit for the money. Initially, I didn't think that I could afford bespoke, and was going to go MTM.
I'm still confused about the difference. Tweed addict take your measurements, you choose the cloth, they send it to a tailor who cuts it by hand, and half machine stitch; similar to cad and the dandy.

I appreciate your thoughts.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems to me that the choice of cloth is irrelevant, for you're able to source any cloth from various establishments?

Yes. Tailors have fabrics books from which you can select the tweeds that suit your fancy. They usually books from the reputable merchants including: W Bill, Holland & Sherry's Sherry Tweed, Harrison's etc. They might have a couple of books from less well known merchants/mills too.

Last edited:

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
You're right (of course) there doesn't seem to be any point in sourcing the cloth separately.
£800 is a big difference in hand stitching, perhaps I could negotiate?
So is £750 for a suit from tweed addict less than 1600 from Connie and Locke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads