• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Trousers Don't Fit Well

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had three pair of trousers made by a local tailor. He took numerous measurements, and I told him how I wanted them to fit, so I was pretty confident that the trousers would fit reasonably well.

When I went back for my first fitting, the they were so tight in the seat that I couldn't put my hands in the pockets.  The tailor suggested letting the seat out and I went with his suggestion.

I went back for a second fitting to discover that he let way too much out in the seat, leaving fabric bunched up in the seat area.

I went back for a third fitting and the seat fit a little better, but I realized that the touser leg lengths were not even.

At the fourth and final fitting he assured me that the legs were even, and the seat was fixed.  I told him the pockets looked slanted from the seat alterations, but he assured me the pockets were straight.

Well I got them home and after trying them on at home and looking at them from several different angles, I have come to realize the seat still looks somewhat sloppy and the rear pockets are slanted.  

I don't think more alterations will fix the seat. If the seat is taken back in so that the pockets are straight, they will be too tight again.

Given my experience with this tailor and these trousers, what would you do?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Who's the tailor?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you charged it with a credit card, reverse the charge. It sounds like he was a lousy tailor and wouldn't know how to fix them properly. sorry for your bad experience.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you charged it with a credit card, reverse the charge.  It sounds like he was a lousy tailor and wouldn't know how to fix them properly.  sorry for your bad experience.
I am considering this as a last resort. I have heard that credit card charges aren't disputable if more than 60 days have lapsed since the charge. I paid half upfront and half when I thought they were done. I think it may have been 60 days since the first charge.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Refund, and let the tailor keep the trousers. If he can't get it right after all this time, there's no reason why you should have to continue to suffer.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I am reluctant to have any garment made for me from scratch anymore. The thing is, you start to build a relationship with the tailor/seamstress, and it gets more and more difficult to be demanding. Once the garments were completed, I felt obliged to pay, even though they weren't exactly as I had envisionned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads