• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Time. Bday is coming up and Fiancee is buying me 3 suits and 2 sports coats. Since i get to star

sns23

Reaction score
I would also look into Brooks Brothers MTM. I've had success with it. 20% promotion going on right now.

quaker13

Reaction score
If haven't chosen your shop yet, let me suggest suit supply. The price is quite reasonable, fabric and construction quality are good, and they have a few base models that you can choose from and customize and adjust measurements from there. At the very least, go by there and try on some of their models just to start to get an idea of what's out there.
Awesome, I didnt know they had one in Georgetown. 5k goes a long way there i see

quaker13

Reaction score
I just figured it would be a great investment and i've been talking to my fiancee about how much of a pain ********** it is to get a decent fitting suit when you're the average size of a nfl outside linebacker (6'3 235-240).

i saw a made to measure thread on this forum a while back and have been obsessed with the notion of it ever since

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just figured it would be a great investment and i've been talking to my fiancee about how much of a pain ********** it is to get a decent fitting suit when you're the average size of a nfl outside linebacker (6'3 235-240).

i saw a made to measure thread on this forum a while back and have been obsessed with the notion of it ever since

3-4 or 4-3 outside linebackers?

mcbrown

Reaction score

I just figured it would be a great investment and i've been talking to my fiancee about how much of a pain ********** it is to get a decent fitting suit when you're the average size of a nfl outside linebacker (6'3 235-240). i saw a made to measure thread on this forum a while back and have been obsessed with the notion of it ever since

Ok, being a tough fit is a pretty good reason to buy MTM - you don't need to buy a "nice" RTW suit to know that you're an unusual body type.

Having said that, it is still wise to start with one and live with it for a while before you commission another. You'll learn a lot from the experience that will guide you in the future.

Last edited:

Longmorn

Reaction score
I would also look into Brooks Brothers MTM. I've had success with it. 20% promotion going on right now.
This suggestion highlights the variations previous posters have tried to bring to your attention. Brooks Brothers suits are a particular style, and even within that style there are three different base models (not counting the Black Fleece stuff). As UBR pointed out, there's a ton of variations that are hard to fully capture without an expert's lexicon.

Building off what other's have said, I'd suggest a systematic approach: take a few Saturdays and go round to as many different MTM shops (from Dash's of Old Town to William Fox and Co to Streets of Georgetown to Suit Supply, etc.) and RTW places as you can stand to try things on, experience the differences, and ask as many questions as you can. See if you can get the sales associates to help you describe what you're seeing as you try on each suit. Focus on things you particularly like or dislike in how they fit and look, and don't forget to see how they feel when you move around in them. In the process you may well find an MTM place that seems like a good option, and even if you don't you'll be better prepared to work with whomever you end up choosing.

Along those lines, the Oxxford trunk show at Neiman Marcus in Friendship Heights is this Friday and Saturday. While way out of your price range, it might be worth your while to go up, try on the Oxxford and learn from the company reps who will be there. Not that you're going to find the exact same thing in a ~$1200 suit, but the conversation and comparison between Oxxford, Brioni, Zegna, Kiton, Cucinelli, Etro, etc. will help you understand the range of styles and construction details that are available. Couple that with perusing the SF threads on particular schools of tailoring (such as the Anderson and Sheppard Expatriates and Show me Your Chan) and reading through Jeff Diduch's excellent blog ( http://www.tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/ ). By the time you're done you'll be in a much better position to articulate what you're after to a tailor, and to judge whether that tailor (or company) can deliver.

Bottom line - better to take it slow and educate yourself than dive in and be disappointed with the results.

Cheers,
LM

quaker13

Reaction score
This suggestion highlights the variations previous posters have tried to bring to your attention. Brooks Brothers suits are a particular style, and even within that style there are three different base models (not counting the Black Fleece stuff). As UBR pointed out, there's a ton of variations that are hard to fully capture without an expert's lexicon.

Building off what other's have said, I'd suggest a systematic approach: take a few Saturdays and go round to as many different MTM shops (from Dash's of Old Town to William Fox and Co to Streets of Georgetown to Suit Supply, etc.) and RTW places as you can stand to try things on, experience the differences, and ask as many questions as you can. See if you can get the sales associates to help you describe what you're seeing as you try on each suit. Focus on things you particularly like or dislike in how they fit and look, and don't forget to see how they feel when you move around in them. In the process you may well find an MTM place that seems like a good option, and even if you don't you'll be better prepared to work with whomever you end up choosing.

Along those lines, the Oxxford trunk show at Neiman Marcus in Friendship Heights is this Friday and Saturday. While way out of your price range, it might be worth your while to go up, try on the Oxxford and learn from the company reps who will be there. Not that you're going to find the exact same thing in a ~$1200 suit, but the conversation and comparison between Oxxford, Brioni, Zegna, Kiton, Cucinelli, Etro, etc. will help you understand the range of styles and construction details that are available. Couple that with perusing the SF threads on particular schools of tailoring (such as the Anderson and Sheppard Expatriates and Show me Your Chan) and reading through Jeff Diduch's excellent blog ( http://www.tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/ ). By the time you're done you'll be in a much better position to articulate what you're after to a tailor, and to judge whether that tailor (or company) can deliver.

Bottom line - better to take it slow and educate yourself than dive in and be disappointed with the results.

Cheers,
LM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will definitely try to make it up to neimans this saturday. If you should happen to be there feel free to say hi and give me a secret styleforum tap on the shoulder

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads