1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MTM Time. Bday is coming up and Fiancee is buying me 3 suits and 2 sports coats. Since i get to star

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by quaker13, Oct 25, 2012.

1. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

I have a polyester grey suit from kenneth cole that i love, but even though it fits awesome its quality is pure sh!t. my other suit is navy blue with faint pinstripes fits ok but is also cheap. This will be my first MTM experience.

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

By chance are you getting them from Elite Suits? :lookaround:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

4. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

are you guys making fun of me :-(

just wanted to know what color suits and sport coats i should be looking towards

besides navy blue and charcoal grey i am not sure which colors would follow given the parameters set

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

jolly good. Now burn the polyester suit.

6. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Don't go from Kenneth Cole suits to 5 MTM coats.

7. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

You need these 3 suits now!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these two coats:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOW!!! Run, don't walk!!

9. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

Why

10. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

You guys are being assholes.

Why you shouldn't go straight to MTM: you are currently at a vey early stage in your tastes and knowledge. In the same way you wouldn't give a 17 year old kid a Ferrari to drive, you don't go from a $300 suit to a $1800 suit. Do you prefer two or three buttons? What width of lapel best suits your frame? Jumping in at the deep end is exiting but it will most likely end up with your owning 5 very expensive garments that do nothing to flatter your body. Take the time to understand the subtleties and nuances of suits and begin to make informed decisions.

If you still insist on going ahead right now, then you need basics: one charcoal suit and one navy blue suit. A mid-grey or pinstripe for when you want to mix it up.

One blue sports coat. Something textured, no pattern. If you're a real classicist then go for a navy blazer with gold buttons. If not then maybe some kind of Birdseye or hop sack. The second sports coat can be something tweedy and green or maybe something like a grey herringbone. Always look for more texture in a sports coat than you would have in a suit.

And remember, you will get a bad reaction here is you go from cheap shit to high quality in one leap, you need to take the time to learn, understand and research your decisions. Money is far and away the easiest part of the journey, expecting to skip the hard work will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Because if you've never owned a "nice" RTW suit you probably won't have a good sense of what specifically you are hoping to accomplish by spending more for MTM vs. RTW. That is a recipe for future regret.

I speak from personal experience. I have a MTM suit from a Hong Kong tailor I bought years before discovering SF. The thing is an abomination and I would never wear it today. Fit is horrible, fabric is garish, and the style is very period-specific and already dated. In contrast, my 15 year old RTW charcoal gray suit from J. Press that I once thought was lame and boring (hence the HK suit) has turned out to be the nicest, most stylistically enduring and most durable article of clothing I ever purchased.

But kudos to your fiancee for wanting to do something nice for you...

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1 to everything Blackhood said. At the very least, do 1 MTM suit first and wear it a few times before commissioning your other pieces.

14. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

Thank you so much for your comment. As to developing my style, in the recent years I think I have a good idea what I like. What's more, i don't 'think' any of the choices I make will be regrettable with respect to fit so long as I come prepared with a couple pictures to show the tailor. Am I missing something. If i come into the haberdashery with these 2 pics I should be money, right?

Such as[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, lots can go wrong. I'm assuming you've never used this tailor before? Even if you do have a mutual understanding about how you want it to look in the end, it may not come out exactly right. If you do everything all at once, you'll have 5 flawed garments. If you do them one by one, you can improve them as you go.

This is even apart from the fact that the tailor might misunderstand you, or you might not talk about some things with him that he will decide for himself when making the garment. There are many many decisions that are made in the production of a jacket. You will almost certainly not discuss all of them. You have to arrive at some level of trust with a tailor, where you believe that these decisions will be made in a way that you like later on. You may end up discovering that this tailor is either unwilling or unable to make things the way that you like them. Again, if you do all 5 things at once, you won't know this until you've already received and paid for 5 things you aren't really happy with.

16. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Those pictures are exactly what I was saying to avoid. I will assume that you're not a troll, but won't be drawn into a discussion.

The first picture is a green and blue tartan smoking jacket to be worn as part of a tux. Don't order one.

That mid grey suit might be ok in terms of colour but it appear s to have a Prince of Wales check which is not a good idea for a "main" suit. Plain cloth only. It may feel like a waste getting a fancy made to measure suit in a boring fabric, but believe me (and hundreds of others who have made that mistake) it is not worth it.

The final suit is VERY stripey. It is bold and going to be unbelievably hard to make work. That should be suit number seven or eight, not three.

Spoon feeding: imagine the most boring suit you can. The kind you see in a bank. The kind you would never see on the red carpet. Have that thing made. It will look good in 5 years and you won't get laughed at for your expensive and failed outfit. Once you can make a dark grey suit look good, then you stand a chance of making a patterned suit look good.

It's a whole walk before you can run thing.

If you are genuine, then hang around and read many more threads before buying, you are clearly not ready.

If you're a troll then screw you.

17. kristianml

kristianml Member

Money you will be :foo:

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

Noob, forget everything everyone else said in this thread. Buy the stuff I pictured for you. You will go from 0 to hero in no time flat! MTM these days a a dime a dozen so for the price of a RTW (ready to wear) suit you can get a decent MTM suit. Now then, DO ITTTT!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

Not a troll at all click on my username and look at the threads I have started. I had no idea this whole professional wardrobe thing was so nuanced. I am 33 and certainly understand the value of navy blue, charcoal grey and med. grey suit as the staple of your wardrobe. What I don't understand is why buying any or all of the 3 of these suits from a reputable MTM shop would be so dangerous and unpredictable.

20. NORE

NORE Senior member

Noob. Go. Do. It.

NOW!