• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mtm suit: ww chan vs. hemrajani

acole

Reaction score
I'm considering having a few suits made, and would like to know if anyone has an informed opinion on the relative merits of ww chan and hemrajani/mytailor.com.  I know both have been discussed here, and I've seen Kai's pictures, but I'm interested in a direct comparison.  I can't tell if hemrajani uses canvased construction, etc., although I know wwc does.

Also--I'm thinking of getting one navy and one charcoal as my "core" suits, both single-breasted.  I happen to like peak lapels, but I also want to stay within the bounds of propriety (in a business sense).  Is a peaked-lapel SB suit too odd or fashion-forward for business use?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i ordered a trial shirt from hemrajani and was unpleased with both construction and fit. i wouldn't consider them for a suit.

vc2000

Reaction score
I tried hemrajani/mytailor and was very unhappy with the quality of the products. I ordered shirts and a suit from them. I was very specific about what I wanted and they ignored it going for the cheaper construction. (The suit would be fused btw) Also on the final bill mytailor added $20 shipping per shirt stating it was a tarriff charge - making the shirts $100+ per. To be kind it was a bad experience.

I tried Chan recently on the recommendation of members of this site. (Having been burned I was apprehensive.) I have to say that I am thrilled with their quality and workmanship. They actually listened a did what they said they would providing a far superior product to hemrajani for about the same $. I only ordered one suit from Chan but I will be ordering more soon.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Chan recently on the recommendation of members of this site.  (Having been burned I was apprehensive.)  I have to say that I am thrilled with their quality and workmanship. They actually listened a did what they said they would providing a far superior product to hemrajani for about the same $.  I only ordered one suit from Chan but I will be ordering more soon.

Out of curiosity, were you measured for the suit during one of their trips to the US or Europe or did you visit one of WW Chan's shops in either HK or Shanghai?  I was fortunate enough to be in Hong Kong long enough to get several fittings on a suit.  I wasn't sure if they'd make MTM suits w/o fittings or not.

With respect to WW Chan's quality, they're supposed to be one of the top tailors in Hong Kong.  I'm pleased with my suit, but my opinion is only moderately educated at this point.  I can say that their customer service is very good, though.

dan

FCS

Reaction score
With respect to WW Chan's quality, they're supposed to be one of the top tailors in Hong Kong.

Who are the other top tailors in HK? Has anyone here tried Ah-Man Hing Cheong (hope the spelling is right)?

vc2000

Reaction score
Quote "Out of curiosity, were you measured for the suit during one of their trips to the US or Europe or did you visit one of WW Chan's shops in either HK or Shanghai?  I was fortunate enough to be in Hong Kong long enough to get several fittings on a suit.  I wasn't sure if they'd make MTM suits w/o fittings or not."

I did my fittings in HK. (Three)  I also caught them when they were in the states in March as I wanted a particular fabric for a wedding that I didn't know about when I was in HK.  Both provided excellent service and care.  Chan's answers email promptly... I think if you order from the tours it takes about 2 months for delivery.  In HK I had my suit in a week.  I don't think Chan will do a suit without a fitting.

My View

Reaction score
I can vouch for the quality of WW Chan. I have made more than 12 shirts there, a 2-piece single-breated 2-button suit as well as a blue blazer. I have the good fortune to be travelling to HK quite a few times a year so I was measured up and given at least 2 fittings (for the suit and blazer) before they delivered the final goods.

The service is nothing short of excellent. Besides having a good selection of suiting fabrics, delivering first rate workmanship, what they do especially well is they really listen closely to you and pay great attention to all your requests.

Great workmanship, great Service and at a very reasonable price by US/European standards.

Anyone travelling to Hong Kong should not miss out the top two attractions of Hong Kong (at least for me):

1) WW.Chan
2) Jantzen Tailor

Someone mentioned A-man Hin Cheong. It is no doubt a very reputable tailor (in fact they claim to be the oldest tailor in Hong Kong, having started business in late 19th century.) and it is situated in the Mandarin hotel. I think the prices are marginally (but only marginally) higher than WW.Chan. Can't tell you much because I only made a shirt there. It fits me well at the shoulder, the yoke and the collar and cuffs were done unfused but I find the sleeves a little too blousy (roomy) for my liking. Personally, I feel less at ease in dealing with them as compared with WW.Chan.

WW Chan has opened 3 shops in Shanghai. If anyone is travelling to Shanghai, you should make an effort to see them.

My View

Reaction score
Oh BTW, if it's not already implied in my previous post, a lot of honest handiwork goes into every WW.Chan garment. Examine every garment carefully (eg. the lapel, the button-holes, the vents, the outline/parameters of the suit) and you will see many marks of painstaking craftmanship. They should be considered a true bespoke tailor.

Just in case anyone is interested, my 2-piece grey suit in a super-110 Canonico Vitale Barberas (did I get it right? Pardon my Italian - I am Chinese.) fabric comes up to just under USD 1,000. That was in Yr2002 and I got it made in Hong Kong so I am not sure if they charge more or less when they travel to USA.

Pierrepont

Reaction score
[/quote]i ordered a trial shirt from hemrajani and was unpleased with both construction and fit. i wouldn't consider them for a suit.
This is disappointing, since I have a shirt on order from him.  What were the problems with the construction and fit of the shirt, and did you try complaining and making them redo it?

Scott_V

Reaction score
Sad to hear about Hemrajani. How long ago did you guy's have problems? I haven't ordered shirts from Joe in about a year. However I own 20 shirts done by www.mytailor.com and have met with Joe during 4 of his trips to the U.S. I found him to be very well spoken and accomodating . I have only had one minor problem with one shirt and a replacement was quickly sent along with a pre-paid shipping label for the return of the incorrect shirt. I guess I will have to think again before placing a new order.

MPS

Reaction score
H Baromon are supposed to be good, and WW Chan is quite well known. Sam's tailors are actually very good. I've had 10 suits made there (including black tie and morning coat). I know Manu Melwani quite well now, and the little Shanghainese tailor who does my suits knows all of my foibles. I normally go for about 3 to 5 fittings. Quality control can be a little variable, though if you go in "talking the talk" you'll come out with a top notch suit for a steal.

Jantzen's shirts are excellent: I was tempted to get them, or Chan's to make me a suit at Christmas, but seeing as I've invested so much time at Sam's it seemed senseless to risk going elsewhere just on a whim.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i ordered a trial shirt from hemrajani and was unpleased with both construction and fit. i wouldn't consider them for a suit.
This is disappointing, since I have a shirt on order from him. Â What were the problems with the construction and fit of the shirt, and did you try complaining and making them redo it?
the fit of the body was excellent, but the collar shrunk to the point wear i could not button the top button. i sent it back to them and they replaced the collar but that one also shrunk to the point where i cannot wear this shirt buttoned up. i had told them from the very beginning that i wanted a collar size of 16" after shrinking. all the seams on the body have puckered horribly after only a few washes. (i rarely wear the shirt.)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen's shirts are excellent: I was tempted to get them, or Chan's to make me a suit at Christmas, but seeing as I've invested so much time at Sam's it seemed senseless to risk going elsewhere just on a whim.

It wouldn't be a risk to go to Chan's.  While in HK, my best friend and I had tuxedos made, mine at Chan's and his at Sam's.  I paid more and got more.  I agree that you can probably get decent results for a good price at Sam's if you're very specific and persistent.  I went with my friend to Sam's as I tend to have a better sense for these things and I felt like that process was adversarial.  In contrast, the tailors at Chan's were interested in creating a quality garment for me and there was no pressure for additional sales or compromises with which I was uncomfortable.  I feel like my money is well-spent because I'm not going to end up with something that disappoints me.

Regards,

dan

acole

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, guys. Â Your answers establish a pretty clear consensus in favor of WW Chan. Â I was kind of hoping it would go the other way, since I just missed Chan's visit to SF.
mad.gif
 But, it's definitely worth waiting for quality.  Anyone have an opinion on my other question about the lapel style I'm considering for my basic navy & grey suits?
Is a peaked-lapel SB suit too odd or 'fashion-forward' for business use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads