• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM suit critique

joobjoob

Reaction score
My suit from Tai Pan Row just came in. I live by myself so please excuse the poor tripod photos.

I'm definitely getting the sleeves shortened. Debating whether to get more waist suppression, but the tailor told me if I get any more waist suppression, it will make me look feminine. Also, is it just me or the skirt/quarters flairs out quite a bit? Can I get that taken in?

frontbi.jpg

sideqk.jpg

backit0.jpg

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. Waist supression looks fine from behind.

Jacket seems a bit long but not the end of the world. I imagine if you shorten the jacket a smidgen, it will make it more proportional, and might even make you forget about the waist supression.

Ivar

Reaction score
*It's hard to comment on the jacket length without a full body shot (seeing as its ideal length depends on your proportions).
*The quarters do flare ever so slightly, which I imagine your tailor could take care of.
*I would probably want to lower the button stance about an inch.

But all in all, more that OK!

pnin22

Reaction score
looks very nice, shoulders are especially well made

iand

Reaction score
Looks good. You know about the sleeves already.

Flanderian

Reaction score
I agree with your tailor. In fact, if it had less waist suppression, it would look better balanced. Sleeves are a tad long. Otherwise, a pretty nice suit!

joobjoob

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'll talk to him about the length, but wouldnt that change the balance of the pockets?

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joobjoob
Thanks for the comments. I'll talk to him about the length, but wouldnt that change the balance of the pockets?

The length looks fine to me. If anything, it's the buttons and pockets that are too high, but that may just be from the angle the picture was taken.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most MTM critique posts are crashes waiting to happen, but not this one.

Couple things to niggle that others have pointed out - but overall a very nice fit. Enjoy it.

flipster

Reaction score
Not too bad, personally I would've asked for higher arm holes.

What did this suit cost?

joobjoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipster
Not too bad, personally I would've asked for higher arm holes.

What did this suit cost?

I was thinking about that too. I'll probably do that for the next suit.

It was around $1000 USD including an extra pair of pants, got one with belt loops and the other with side buckles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads