• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM suit advice NYC - Against Nature, Michael Andrews, etc

Bolan13

Reaction score
I need to get a three piece suit for my wedding in October. I tried on a Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit (I mistakenly thought a friend could get me a discount) and it fit and looked perfect on me. With little luck find a three piece off the rack - I have been thinking about going to one of custom suit shops in the city. I first went to Mr Ned - good price but worried I may get a business suit.

I would like to spend about 1k-2k. I like a traditional cut and fit - though more fitted but not too slim like some of the more trendy suits out there. Wondering if any of the above places would make a similar suit of good quality to the purple label three piece or if there are any other places I haven't thought of.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
How much of a sale did you think you were going to get on RLPL? That usually runs well over $5K.

Maybe you could do Paul Stuart M2M.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you tell Varham , at Mr. ned, what you want, you will get a more fitted stylish suit.

or try
http://www.gilibertodesigns.com/index.htm

or try
http://craigrobinsonnyc.com/

Craig is an old friend. makes a great suit.
might be out of your price range.
evrything is made in house or through a small workroom in the city(lower priced).
He does all of his own cutting.

and where are you getting your wedding shirt?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's your budget, RLBL, Paul Start all have 3 piece that might fit your bill (2K)

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
If you want a 3 piece and aren't opposed to heading to Brooklyn, Ercole's does MTM now, and it's in your price range. They have some pics of their MTM on their tumblr or instagram. If 2 piece is okay, you may be able to do their bespoke depending on fabric.

Edit: They have a Manhattan location, but I'd still recommend going to their Brooklyn location instead if you happen to try them out.

Last edited:

Bolan13

Reaction score
What's your budget, RLBL, Paul Start all have 3 piece that might fit your bill (2K)
I can't really spend more than $2000 including a shirt - I tried on a black label three piece at the RL mansion and it did not look good on me at all. The legs were tapered and jacket too short. I called Paul Stuart and they were unable to have a suit made by October. They did tell me to take a look at the racks and they could always make the vest. Hickey Freeman told me the same thing. I plan on visiting both stores tomorrow.
If you tell Varham , at Mr. ned, what you want, you will get a more fitted stylish suit.

or try
http://www.gilibertodesigns.com/index.htm

or try
http://craigrobinsonnyc.com/

Craig is an old friend. makes a great suit.
might be out of your price range.
evrything is made in house or through a small workroom in the city(lower priced).
He does all of his own cutting.

and where are you getting your wedding shirt?
Thanks, I called Gilberto who quoted $2,000 to start for a three piece. Which is still more than I would like to pay. I don't get much wear from a suit as I never need one for work. Mr. Ned I think fits best with my budget. I just need to find out if they could do it by October. I haven't put too much thought into the shirt yet. I was thinking I would just get it made wherever I get the suit. I could be wrong on that though.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a 3 piece and aren't opposed to heading to Brooklyn, Ercole's does MTM now, and it's in your price range. They have some pics of their MTM on their tumblr or instagram. If 2 piece is okay, you may be able to do their bespoke depending on fabric.

What's their Instagram handle?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much cheaper is their MTM over their bespoke?

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'm not on instagram, but I believe it's francoercole. Link.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
How much cheaper is their MTM over their bespoke?

Sent you a PM. I want to avoid quoting prices on the forum. If you email them, Jeremy will get back to you with a price list for everything.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt he has been reviewed.
He was primarily a tailor to Rock stars, actors, , their agents and others in the non finance SF approved world.
Craig
since opening a second shop in willaimsburg, his customer base has grown.
They make the suit on site He starts at $2400
he made this jacket for me

Last edited:

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Given your price point and short timeframe, I would be inclined to go OTR and have it altered at a good tailors.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads