• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirtmaker

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I know there have been many threads on this, but they are all a bit dated in terms of price.

Which MTM shirt maker is the least expensive? are there any at the same price range as Modern Tailor, or less?

I know people will tell my my tailor, but those are 30-40 dollars more expensive than the sales at Modern Tailor.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
so you want to buy the cheapest shirt you can find.

what do you think you give up to save $30

No, I can find much cheaper OTR shirts that are pretty decent quality.

What do I give up to save $30? I have no real income, so essentially, a whole other shirt.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need MTM because of fit issues or do you want MTM because of aesthetic choice?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern Tailor and TailorStore are around the same price and both decent.

I doubt you'll find anywhere much cheaper without getting a crap shirt for your money.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Modern Tailor has a sale for the blue oxford for 20 bucks. Upgrade to MOP buttons for a few bucks extra. I was really pleased with mine.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
so you want to buy the cheapest shirt you can find.

what do you think you give up to save $30

I'm adding that unless an expert measures you, it isn't made-to-measure, it is special order.

lurker[1].gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
Modern Tailor has a sale for the blue oxford for 20 bucks. Upgrade to MOP buttons for a few bucks extra. I was really pleased with mine.

That's ******* disgusting. The cocktail I'm drinking now costs more.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
That's ******* disgusting. The cocktail I'm drinking now costs more.

Low prices are disgusting?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Yes because someone is getting exploited with that shirt. Either your getting a crap product (highly likely) or your shirtmakers don't own shoes. I'm really into just paying people a fair wage for what they produce. I'm not talking about my bottom line because I assure you my makers make as much as I do. This quest for "value" is eroding quality in lots of areas. I would be surprised if you disagree with this outlook Foo.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Yes because someone is getting exploited with that shirt. Either your getting a crap product (highly likely) or your shirtmakers don't own shoes. I'm really into just paying people a fair wage for what they produce. I'm not talking about my bottom line because I assure you my makers make as much as I do. This quest for "value" is eroding quality in lots of areas. I would be surprised if you disagree with this outlook Foo.

keep in mind this is a $20 shirt. If youre expecting a handstitched collar and buttonholes with incredible fabric....youre not gonna get it obviously. They are doing the $20 for first time buyers to do a "test shirt" to see how they fit and the finishing of the product. Average price of a MTM shirt through them will be about $75. The fabric of the sale shirt is pretty crappy. But it gave me a great jump off point on what measurements I needed to tweak in order to make the next shirt I get through them fit spot on.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

no...just the price of his cocktail.
laugh.gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
no...just the price of his cocktail.
laugh.gif

It's a good cocktail. I think I will have another. Big shout out to Robertas in Bushwick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads