• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirt Fit / Remake

kageboshi

Reaction score
Hello,

I got an MTM from one of the brands typically recommended here, and unfortunately the shirt came out too small. Could you guys help me out deciding what modifications I should ask them to make? The first photo is with the sleeves unbuttoned. My plan is to eventually (after nailing down the fit) get around 10x shirts for work, which would be worn under a sportscoat 80% of the time.

Right now I'm thinking about doing the following

Chest +1cm
Sleeve Width +1-2cm
Sleeve Length +4cm
Waist +2.5cm
Shirt Length +3cm

What would you guys recommend?

Regards,

K

Attachments

• Kmk01.jpg
    Kmk01.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 38
  • kmk02.jpg
    kmk02.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 38
  • kmk03.jpg
    kmk03.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 37
  • kmk04.jpg
    kmk04.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 108
  • kmk05.jpg
    kmk05.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 115

papado

Reaction score
I feel like you may not need the full 2.5cm in the waist (Assuming this is added to the half-measure of the shirt as opposed to total curcumference) as it doesn't look super tight; not sure what you're seeing/feeling which requires it?

For the arm/sleeve I feel you definitely need more room in the forearm specifically and probably a slightly larger armhole. I think this can be alleviated by increasing sleeve width a little which will open up the armhole, however is there a specific option to enlarge the forearms?

Sfroide3

Reaction score
First question is: did you wash your shirt 1-2 times the way you plan to wash this shirt in the future ? It might change your size even more.

Lengthen the sleeve by at least 5 cm. Sleeve width 1-2 cm. Waist a little. It's up to your taste and comfort.

Biggest advice here is to order your 10 shirts only after you nail a fit that you think is very good. Do 1-2-3 shirts first with different sizes. Once your figured out which one is the best, order the rest.

kageboshi

Reaction score
Thanks,

Yes, I washed and line dried the shirt 3 times...

kageboshi

Reaction score
I feel like you may not need the full 2.5cm in the waist (Assuming this is added to the half-measure of the shirt as opposed to total curcumference) as it doesn't look super tight; not sure what you're seeing/feeling which requires it?

For the arm/sleeve I feel you definitely need more room in the forearm specifically and probably a slightly larger armhole. I think this can be alleviated by increasing sleeve width a little which will open up the armhole, however is there a specific option to enlarge the forearms?

Thanks, I was thinking about 2.5 to the circumference. I’ll check about the forearms.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see if they can add the extra material to the front of the waist and the chest. You don't need that extra material in your back unless it feels tight.

If you're talking about circumference (not half-widths) then I'd suggest going up a bit more in the chest than 1 cm circumference.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest the following;

Chest +3cm (1.5cm p/seam) You just wouldn't notice the difference with an increase of +1cm, and lose 1/3 of the centimetre in shrinkage

Sleeve Width - this will increase when the chest increases, however, it does look like you could do with +1cm increased armhole, looking a little high and will have fabric sitting there absorbing sweat and disintegrating fast because of friction.

Sleeve Length +4cm - I agree with this, your shirt isn't currently sitting straight on the sleeve, and I perceive a little excess where it wrinkles at the elbow.

Waist +2.5cm - a fair amount. +2cm would actually suffice, but consider the long term use of the shirt and how consistent you are in your shape.

Shirt Length +3cm - Again, a fair amount, still short enough to wear outside the body, but long enough to be tucked in without easily slipping out and revealing any flesh.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Shirt Length +3cm - Again, a fair amount, still short enough to wear outside the body, but long enough to be tucked in without easily slipping out and revealing any flesh.

Shirts that look good in and out doesn't exist. It's a mirage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads