• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirt Fit Critique

PaaPanf

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A trial shirt (Modern Tailor) just came in last week and I was hoping for some input. I posted some photos in a old MTM fit thread 3 days ago and its not getting any action so i decided to start a new one.

I'm thinking the shoulders need to be taken in an inch on each side and that the cuffs are a bit big also. What do you think?
I'm also wondering everyone's opinion on the sleeve length.

Thanks allot guys. Try not to be too brutal!

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a first shirt, it's not too bad. Have you washed it and and worn it a few times to account for shrinkage?

Judging from the third photo, I'd say the cuffs look OK, but there is too much sleeve fabric bunching up around your elbow area. Take a photo with the cuffs unbuttoned and arms by your sides. The sleeve length should be close to your thumb web. Buttoned, the sleeves should be about 1/2" below your wrist bone to show when worn with a suit or sport coat.

The collar looks a bit tight -- is there enough room for a finger or two? In the first photo, the back of the collar looks too tall and comes up pretty high on your neck-- I would shorten it a bit.

Hard to tell from the photos, but the sleeve seams should be where your upper arms join your shoulders.

My first MT shirt was pretty close, but could still use some minor adjustments. This is true of any first MTM shirt whether it's made by MT or Charvet.

Last edited:

uniesse

Reaction score
Seems to be a bit tight around the waist - makes you look unnecessarily paunchy.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
very good first shirt.
self measured??

cuffs look a bit large in circumference..
but if the shirt has not been washed very often, you may get more shrinkage.

sleeves are a bit too long.
again, I am assuming this shirt has been washed a few times

you can narrow the yoke 1/2" each side.

due to your posture. I would add and 1.5" to the waist and add darts.

cant tell about collar size,

very good first shirt fit

PaaPanf

Reaction score
Thanks allot everyone!

The measurements were made off a shirt with sleeves to short. I had only washed the shirt once. I think I'm going to wear it a little more before making a second order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads