• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirt Critique

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently received my first MTM shirt from MyTailor and would be appreciated in hearing some feedback about the fit.

Thank you.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look like a real good fit to me!

MaxJones

Reaction score
I think it looks nice. If you're looking for a constructive critique for future orders, here's a bit of that.

First off, congrats on the lean frame, that's the first step to getting a great fit. The shoulders are nice, but with your build, slightly lower and wider armholes might be more comfortable and flattering.

I personally would have some issues with the cuffs as well, because I like to show a bit from my suit jacket, blazer, carcoat, etc. It looks to me like you'd have a hard time doing that with the fit you've got. It look like there's enough fabric for the sleeve length, so I'd open up the cuffs a bit so that they fall a half inch or so lower. I also like to wear medium sized wristwatches, so I'd allow for that if only on my watch hand cuff.

It's a matter of personal preference of course, but I'd give mysef a bit more room around the torso. I'd imagine that given your build, you've experienced the problem of having too much fabric around your belly, but I'd at least entertain the idea that you may have overcompensated this time.

Love the collar, love the back.

~M

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good. I would bring the chest in a bit (perhaps actually simply raising the armhole might solve it - it is hard for me to tell) as there is some extra room under your pectorals. Also, how long are the colar tips? Are they just 2.5"? I would make them 2.75" if they are.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxJones

I personally would have some issues with the cuffs as well, because I like to show a bit from my suit jacket, blazer, carcoat, etc. It looks to me like you'd have a hard time doing that with the fit you've got. It look like there's enough fabric for the sleeve length, so I'd open up the cuffs a bit so that they fall a half inch or so lower. I also like to wear medium sized wristwatches, so I'd allow for that if only on my watch hand cuff.

~M

Is opening up the cuffs something I can do presently. Would it just be a matter of moving the button or is something more involved?

I would appreciate any other comments as I am hoping to order a couple more shirts in the next few days.

Thanks.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall, it looks good. What method did you use to specify the measurements? And what fabric is that?

My first MyTailor shirt was extremely blousy, so I sent it back for alterations.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
has the shirt been washed at least twice?
if yes, then cuffs look a touch big and sleeves a bit long. if not then lets see what has happened after being laundered.

It is good to see that i am not the only one having problems on slim fitting shirts pulling from shoulder to the neck joining. how much time have you spent on a laptop, blackberry or gameboy.

otherwise it is a very good fit for a very slim shirt. i would leave the body alone. you could add an inch to the waist and then add darts in the back.
carl

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Hi,

I recently received my first MTM shirt from MyTailor and would be appreciated in hearing some feedback about the fit.

Thank you.

Where did you buy the shirt from? Looks perfect!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just curious.
Were you self measured?
measured by someone who knew what they were doing
or did you take measurements of an exisiting shirt.

was this your first attempt.
Carl

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I buy OTR shirt and take it to the tailor to "slim it" that is how it would look. So I see no point in maing MTM shirts at twice/thrice the price.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should increase the waist by an inch or two.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments about the waist. I think I will increase it by an inch or two.

I self measured for this shirt and just specified that it be a slim fit.

dkzzzz, I went mtm because I often have trouble with the shoulders, they seem to pull, fitting properly as I seem to have somewhat broad shoulders.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Thanks for the comments about the waist. I think I will increase it by an inch or two.
I think it's a good choice. In these pictures, with these pants, your hips are very "straight down," so the ultra-slim waist doesn't look too bad. But if you're ever wearing pants that flare out even the least bit at the hips, you will end up looking feminine if your shirt waist is skin-tight above the belt-line. Great job on the self-measurements in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads