• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirt critique please

zerostyle

Reaction score
Here's another request for an MTM shirt critique request. Major complaints: - The arms are bunching and doing the accordion thing quite a bit. Oddly, the length where it lands on my arm seems pretty reasonable. Maybe take it up 0.5" - The arms also don't lay flat on the sides of my arm/biceps. They tend to "fold over" on themselves. Is this because of the higher arm hole / narrower bicep measurement? I really hate this. - I think the waist or hips probably need to be taken in a bit more. The pants are too loose on me, but it seems the shirt is too big in this area regardless. Would love any advice: Full front: - Yuck at all the bunching both by the armpits and arms. The shirt is freshly ironed - this is after walking around for only a bit.
body.jpg
Another shot of the arm
front-sleeve.jpg
Side view - this doesn't show it very well, but the sides of the arms fold over instead of laying flat pretty badly. Reduce bicep measurement? Do something else?
side-1.jpg
Length view - this is where the sleeve is hitting my hand right now. Reduce by .5" or so?
length.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
your photos suck
is the cuff buttoned or unbuttoned?
how many times has the shirt been washed?
self measured?

The sleeve is a bit full, but there is nothing wrong with the sleeve
put on an older shirt and you will see the same things happening

Vogizzle

Reaction score
Sleeves are too long, sleeves are too wide/big, shoulders are too wide, waist is too big.

Start from scratch.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Length view - this is where the sleeve is hitting my hand right now. Reduce by .5" or so?
length.jpg

More like 1.5-2"...this can be achieved by shortening the sleeve, or keeping it the same length but making the cuff narrower.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
Besides a whole slimming down of the shirt, the cuffs can be narrower, making them rest higher up the hand, shorten the arms at least 1 to 1,5".
Before doing anything take it through 3+ washings and ironings.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Some notes for you guys:

- the shirt has been washed about 3 times, so that's about as much as it will shrink
- the shirt cuff is buttoned in all pictures

changes I'm planning on making:
- reducing shirt length by 1" to start
- reducing waist and hip by 1"

Do you really think the shoulders are too large? I feel like they are a pretty good fit to me right now.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are too long and it could also be taken in some on the sides.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vogizzle
Sleeves are too long, sleeves are too wide/big, shoulders are too wide, waist is too big.

This

viator

Reaction score
Do you really think the shoulders are too large?
Yes. See how the should seam slips down onto your upper bicep? That (to me) means it is too large.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea how much I should take in the waist/hips?

Current plan:
- minus 1" on sleeves
- minus 1" on waist
- minus 1" on hip
- minus 0.5" on shoulders (17.5" -> 17")
- minus 0.5" on bicep

Go more drastic on any of these?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea how much I should take in the waist/hips?

Current plan:
- minus 1" on sleeves
- minus 1" on waist
- minus 1" on hip
- minus 0.5" on shoulders (17.5" -> 17")
- minus 0.5" on bicep

Go more drastic on any of these?

reduce the cuff size by at least 1/2"
Where did you get the original measurements from?
the shirt is a mess

GBer

Reaction score
It's too large for you. To make all the alterations will probably cost as much as the shirt. Significant work needed.

maverick

Reaction score
Cuffs definitely too big -- thats the most obvious issue to my eye. Also agree you should show with collar buttoned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads