• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirt critique and fit advice

throwingfits

Reaction score
I've never owned a shirt that fit well. I've tried MTM from a variety of places like Brooks Brothers, Mohans (NYC), etc. and now I'm giving Indochino a shot. The shirt is a better fit than most of the other MTM places have been able to achieve after two or three attempts, but it still needs help!

There are a number of issues, but the main issue (I think) is that there is pulling at the front of shoulder (I think the armhole is adequately sized, but the fabric is tight at the front of my shoulder at what I would call the front of the armhole where the seam descends into my armpit). There is also bunching of fabric that happens from the front of my armpits up around the back of my neck (like the straps of a shoulder holster), especially when an arm is raised. Also, I think there is not enough fabric in the back and perhaps a bit too much in the front/chest as the back feels tight when I raise an arm.

FWIW, here are the current measurements:
NECK 18.5"
LENGTH 32.75"
CHEST 44.5"
STOMACH 40"
SHOULDER 21"
SLEEVE LENGTH 28.25"
BICEP 16.5"

The positioning of the armhole just feels really off and I am not sure what measurements to tweak to correct this and the bunching around the neck. The first shirt had the same issues and adding an inch to the shoulder width and sleeve diameter (on the advice of a local tailor I don't trust) didn't do much to resolve the issue. It seems to me the position of the armhole is off, but I don't know how to change it.

Any advice?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The armhole is low because you're wearing too big a shirt. I'm guessing your have a thick necklike me. It's not a good state to be buying shirts in. There's some cheap MTM shirt outfits though that you should consider.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have sloping sholders with a right low. i do not think indochino can account for shoulder slopes. no way to fix this. this needs to be dealt with in the cutting. it is an easy cutting alteration no clue as to which online service deal with this fit issue.

throwingfits

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I've only gone online after receiving equally poor results from every shirtmaker I've visited in person. I'm in Dallas now and the options I've found are extremely limited. (I've given BB, Q Shirtmakers and J Hilburn multiple shots at it with no luck). I really don't want to spend more than $200 per shirt. Again, thank you for your comments.

either/or

Reaction score
thumbs-up.gif
-Been looking for a thread like this. There's some info to be had here, but it's "modern tailor" specific. Also, there are a lot of pages.
wink.gif
Still, now I know what to expect when I receive my first online-mtm-shirt in a few days. I took body-measurements...
uhoh.gif

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by either/or
thumbs-up.gif
-Been looking for a thread like this.

There's some info to be had here, but it's "modern tailor" specific. Also, there are a lot of pages.
wink.gif

Still, now I know what to expect when I receive my first online-mtm-shirt in a few days. I took body-measurements...
uhoh.gif

I think you might be disappointed in your first shirt from MT. I haven't heard of one person yet that had a positive experience with using body measurements, you really should have used shirt measurements instead. BTW, here's the official MT thread....read through this and you will see that every success story was the result of using shirt measurements:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=193399

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I think you might be disappointed in your first shirt from MT.
I didn't order from modern tailor, but from tailor store. But (having read the entire MT thread) I have a strong feeling the same applies to them - or any online-mtm for that matter. hence the
uhoh.gif
Anyway, its just part of the learning curve I guess. I figured I might had to go through some trial-and-error to get it right, so that's ok. Thanks for the link on the official MT thread, also I agree on measuring a well-fitting shirt seems to be the way to go. There are a couple of good instructions buried in the other MT thread on how to adjust existing (non-fitting) shirts, I think I will give those a try if the first one doesn't come out right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads