• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirt allowances

dukeaw

Reaction score
All,

I am having some shirts made. My shirtmaker suggested chest and stomach allowances of anywhere from +3 inches to +5 inches over chest and stomach. I am generally athletic. I have a 41.5 inch chest and a 36 inch stomach. Currently I wear BB Milano fit which is significantly roomier than these measurements.

I'd like some insight. What allowances do you all have your shirts made with and can you share your measurements? Since you're all so stylish and presentable your pictures to gauge roominess are also appreciated

Thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry no photos of my own to share but 3-5 inches is a good range for shirt allowance. 3 is trim. I prefer 4-5 inches. I have a 37 in chest and 31 inch stomach so similar drop as yours. My shirts are around a 41-41.5 inch chest.

papado

Reaction score
All,

I am having some shirts made. My shirtmaker suggested chest and stomach allowances of anywhere from +3 inches to +5 inches over chest and stomach. I am generally athletic. I have a 41.5 inch chest and a 36 inch stomach. Currently I wear BB Milano fit which is significantly roomier than these measurements.

I'd like some insight. What allowances do you all have your shirts made with and can you share your measurements? Since you're all so stylish and presentable your pictures to gauge roominess are also appreciated

Thanks

I think it also depends on your build/shape what works you best, but 3-5 is a good range. I'm a 42" chest and 36" waist and my best shirts have a 47" chest and 40" waist. My bespoke shirts have an adjusted front/back panel as a regular online MTM shirt will have a blousey back but it's clear I can't downsize too much in the waist. The chest is depending on your musculature and shape of it; my +5in could look real loose on someone who's built differently.

Gregbird

Reaction score
All,

Thanks

Wear your shirts that fit well. Measure them and see what allowance works for you. There are no standard rules.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those seem like a good range.
I have a 46 chest and a 36 wait and I do a 4 inch allowance in chest and a 5 inch at waist.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I do around 4" everywhere (this means being able to pinch 2" of fabric at any point). Less at the hem if it's a shirt I'll wear tucked. I used to leave a little more room in the chest, thinking it would give more arm mobility; this was a mistake. It made the fit sloppier, and by putting the armholes farther from the body it gave less mobility.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All,

Thanks
sorry no photos of my own to share but 3-5 inches is a good range for shirt allowance. 3 is trim. I prefer 4-5 inches. I have a 37 in chest and 31 inch stomach so similar drop as yours. My shirts are around a 41-41.5 inch chest.

I am much fatter, but have an athletic-type drop as well. Most of my shirts are 49 in chest and 45 in midsection, about 4-5 inches larger than my measurement.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All,

Thanks
Hi,

It really depends on the cut you go for. For instance, a slim tapered cut could afford you +3" on the chest and 1.75" on the waist, or for a comfortable fit +4" on the chest and +2" around the waist.

dukeaw

Reaction score
Hi,

It really depends on the cut you go for. For instance, a slim tapered cut could afford you +3" on the chest and 1.75" on the waist, or for a comfortable fit +4" on the chest and +2" around the waist.
with a wait measurement like that I think I'd feel like one large meal away, or one salty snack bloat from popping a button! Good luck wearing that shirt on a night out when drinking! And I'm a trim guy

I ordered my shirts with a +5 allowance in chest and waist. They are full, but still more tailored than anything I found off the rack with a 16.5-16.75 inch neck. They allow comfortable movement. And they pass my most important test... That I am able to comfortably hug someone without too much pulling. If i cant hug a friend when I greet them then whats the point of living anyways...

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As long as you're comfortable! Fits vary from person to person, similarly from brand to brand. Of course, with MTM, this is adapted to your personal preference and can change depending on style or occasion. +5cm is a fair amount around the waist, and for agility in the upper arms, (enough to hug a friend), +7cm in the chest.
Glad you found your ideal fit!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads