• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM or Bespoke in NYC that can copy a suit

saiyar1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long story short, I found the Polo Ralph Lauren Polo 2 model to be an absolutely perfect fit for me after tapering the jacket's waist.

Is there anywhere people recommend in NYC or New Jersey to have my suit exactly copied into the staple colors navy, charcoal, chacoral stripe, etc. (the one I have is a light grey)?

The number one concern for me is replicating the shape/fit/drape. I believe the Polo 2 is a half canvassed. Secondary is if I can get it in a full canvassed construction. Since I simply want something copied exactly and don't need to pay a tailor for his signature fit/style, I'm hoping I would be able to do this for about the $500 a piece range.

Any suggestions? Would it cost less? More?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe any tailor can copy a suit exactly. I think if you are set on a particular style then buy the same brand again unless you are willing to take a chance.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest buyin more of the RTW Polo

Matt S

Reaction score
One difficult with copying the Polo style/fit is that Polo has just about no padding in the shoulders, and many tailors might not want to attempt that. Find a tailor that can make shoulders like that and that's the one to go with. You will have to pay more than $500. You might have good luck with LS Men's Clothing, which can do MTM with H. Freeman (not Hickey Freeman). The suits are full canvas and reasonably priced, and they have a very natural shoulder.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt you can find a good maker of a full canvas suit for $500, especially if you want it a certain way. Add in fabric cost, the cost for canvassing, thread, pockets, lining, buttons, zipper fly etc. then on top of all that you have to add in labor costs for the tailor to create the garment, taking an existing garment then translating that into a pattern in which to cut a new garment

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
at that price you would have to use one of the indian guys who produce in china..
good luck, because it is doubtful you will get what you really want.

+1. The measuring is probably the easiest part for a tailor (hell, most of us can take measurements), and thats the only part of the job that will be skipped.

If you want something exact, your probably going to end up disappointed, especially since you want it at a discounted price. If you do go to a maker, don't just give him the suit and say make this...have him give you the works with you guiding him with what you want, and be specific about all of the details from the suit you like so much.

Also, if you've never tried bespoke before, you might be surprised as to how much a good tailor can improve an already good fit. You may think the Polo is perfect for you, but a good tailor should be able to make it an even better fit.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measurements are on the outside.

Construction is on the inside.

The only way to replicate it completely would be dissect it in the manner of the fatto a mano blog, and then to find tailors or machines to replicate the work exactly.

Disappointment is inevitable.

Better perhaps to buy a smaller number of the Polo RTW that you like, and then buy more ad your budget allows.

Ebay or the B&S forum here may net you bargains.

If $500/suit is yoru budget, perhaps better to consider the time/money equation and spend more time scouting.

JG000

Reaction score
Why not go the bespoke route and commision similar suits??

Price range is your only issue really

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000

I agree completely the "only issue really" keeping me from buying a sweet new house, a great car, and the wardrobe I truly want is price range. That seems like a silly thing to let hold me back!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Polo II models fit you good with waist nipping, the Bradford model should be spot-on.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try and find more Polo suits on ebay, the outlets... you can find them at the Polo Outlet (with luck) for $250, and then online for slightly more. Unlike in most cases with fusing, it is generally an additional sign of general poor quality from the manufacturer in all aspects, but with Polo Ralph Lauren made by Corneliani, I don't think that's an issue. Most peoples' problems with fusing is "what other means of shortcut have they taken in fabric, cut, fit, etc that will make this a bad suit," but I don't think it applies with this being only "half-canvassed." Just my thought.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000

Or the MTM route from Polo.
They already have the exact pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads