• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Modern Style Tuxedo Ideas

Flip Diggity

Reaction score
I'm getting married in April and live in Austin, TX and want to wear a tuxedo for the wedding. When looking around and wanting to standout, I think I'm going with the midnight blue tuxedo with black lapels. Since I'm not quite ready to spend money on a Tom Ford and want a little better quality than H&M, I figured I would try something MTM.

I have a friend who works for J Hilburn and my fiancé has a Tom James suit which is very nice. I looked at reviews for Indochino and I'm not sure I'm so impressed with their stuff but could be convinced otherwise. I also read around about Kent Wang but the website really isn't very helpful.

I don't want to worry about measuring myself in case something gets screwed up so I like the idea of going into a place to get measured or the option of having someone come to my house for a consultation where they take the measurements.

In Austin, are J Hillburn and Tom James my only MTM options or should I give one of the online shops a try? This will be my first tux (and not my last since I do want a black one eventually). I'm looking to spend about $1000-$1500 on the tuxedo without any of the accessories (i.e. Shoes, shirts, etc).

My thoughts are to get a black shawl-collar lapel. Any concerns with that being too fashion forward or will it stand the test of time say 10 years?

Should the buttons be black or midnight blue?

I want the pocket trimming on the front of the jacket to be angled slightly and for it to be black. Any concerns with that?

Should the pants have a satin line down the side? Do all tux Pants have this? Should that be black?

Do any of the MTM providers do full canvassed garments?

Don't know if it's possible to ask more questions but this should give me a direction to go in.

Flip Diggity

Reaction score
Thank you @Veremund. That article was very helpful and answers many of my questions. I am curious if I should get a button hole even on the shawl collar lapel because I do need to place a boutonnière.

I also still need help with identifying a good source for the tux if anyone has any experience with some that can comment.

Thanks.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would not believe the amount of people that ask me for midnight blue dinner suits with shawl lapels since Skyfall. I cant help but roll my eyes now. Its a classic garment although trendy right now, I think you will be quite safe with this look although I am slightly jaded with it at the moment.

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
If you want it to stand the test of time, I think you should not go too slim nor too wide on the lapels(the slim lapels seems the mark of fashion forward), and make sure to get a proper length coat with no vents.
I was searching for a tuxedo on ebay last year and had a tough time finding a decently priced tuxedo that wasn't vented, short, slim lapel, had pocket flaps or had notched lapels - which also had trousers with a proper rise.
If you tick these boxes(I'm sure I have forgotten some) I think you will be good in years to come.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You would not believe the amount of people that ask me for midnight blue dinner suits with shawl lapels since Skyfall. I cant help but roll my eyes now. Its a classic garment although trendy right now, I think you will be quite safe with this look although I am slightly jaded with it at the moment.

More that 3 but less than 6?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want it to stand the test of time, I think you should not go too slim nor too wide on the lapels(the slim lapels seems the mark of fashion forward), and make sure to get a proper length coat with no vents.
I was searching for a tuxedo on ebay last year and had a tough time finding a decently priced tuxedo that wasn't vented, short, slim lapel, had pocket flaps or had notched lapels - which also had trousers with a proper rise.

If you tick these boxes(I'm sure I have forgotten some) I think you will be good in years to come.

I don't agree with the unvented. Go with side vents. Plus, they can always be sewn up if you want to go ventless.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the problem is most of these midnight navy requests aren't really midnight navy but more of just a navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads