• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Indochino Suit: How does it fit? / What alterations should i have done?

lelo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I got my first MTM indochino suit today. The 3 piece essential black suit. Really love it, but with the $75 of alterations I can make, I want to make sure the suit is perfect. I have a few ideas on what I think needs to be altered, but would like your opinions too.

My personal feelings:
  • jacket is too loose around the the chest;
  • pants need to be slightly longer (they fit great when standing still with no break, but as soon as I move slightly, a lot of sock shows);
  • waist coat needs to be a bit longer (as you can see the shirt underneath);
  • not happy with how it crumples by the button on the suit when done up (how do you fix that??);
  • suit sleeve width is a little large (see my comments further below)

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

One other issue is perhaps the suit sleeve width. With a cufflink shirt on, it is a fine size. But if you see the pics below, with a regular shirt on, it looks way to wide. The buttons on the sleeve are fully functional, so if I get the sleeve width made smaller, when I wear a cufflink shirt, if the sleeves are a bit tight, I can undo the last button on the sleeves (which is apparently the style these days anyway). What do you think?

Thanks for the input...appreciate it!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi guys, So I got my first MTM indochino suit today. [COLOR=FF00AA]The 3 piece essential black suit.[/COLOR] Really love it, but with the $75 of alterations I can make, I want to make sure the suit is perfect. I have a few ideas on what I think needs to be altered, but would like your opinions too. My personal feelings:
  • jacket is too loose around the the chest;
  • pants need to be slightly longer (they fit great when standing still with no break, but as soon as I move slightly, a lot of sock shows);
  • waist coat needs to be a bit longer (as you can see the shirt underneath);
  • not happy with how it crumples by the button on the suit when done up (how do you fix that??);
  • suit sleeve width is a little large (see my comments further below)
Look forward to hearing your opinions. One other issue is perhaps the suit sleeve width. With a cufflink shirt on, it is a fine size. But if you see the pics below, with a regular shirt on, it looks way to wide. The buttons on the sleeve are fully functional, so if I get the sleeve width made smaller, when I wear a cufflink shirt, if the sleeves are a bit tight, I can undo the last button on the sleeves (which is apparently the style these days anyway). What do you think? Thanks for the input...appreciate it!
No such thing.......:eh:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No such thing.......
eh.gif

+1

Besides that, it's tough to see things like pants break and wrinkles with that lighting, so I can't be sure. The pants look fine, and the sleeve width does too. There's a lot of pulling on the button, so the waist is too small. It looks like the vents may also be open. Fixing the waist may solve that. There's a lot of collar gap. It looks like there's some access material on the upper-back of the jacket. The chest may need to go in a bit. I don't like the cut of the vest. It's too long in the back and too short in the front. Get an estimate of the alteration costs. It may be better to just have a remake.

On the bright side, they gave you a low button stance. That's a problem with a lot of Indochino suits. They probably lowered your button to show off the vest.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The major problem is the gap between the collars of your suit and shirt, that is totally unacceptable, it will not be a cheap dirty job to get it fixed. Sleeve pitch need a good rotation. Trouser need to be recut e.g. rise too low, overly too tight. The suit vents look awkward as well.

Overall, just to be very honest, It will be better for you to get something else. However, in this case, I will suggest asking them to remake the suit since it is in such a terrible fit, and do try to get a tailor to measure you before you send the new measurements.

I believe the whole disaster is the fault of poor measurements.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads