• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM in London

HotToddy

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum,

This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker.

I have tried searching for this topic but couldn't find much, especially on the brands I am interested in.

I'm planning to treat myself to two MTM suits in the new year and was looking for some feedback and advice. I think I prefer the look of softer tailoring and can justify up to £2k per suit. These will be my first suits not bought off the rack.

I read permanent style occasionally and Simon gave a rave review to Samon Amel so I'm thinking of using them. Has anyone used them and which line did you go for; Napoli or Toscana?

Also Anglo Italian looks interesting but I can't find too much info on their finished products. Also maybe Drakes or Trunk MTM?

I was also considering P Johnson but after they got slammed on permanent style I think I will avoid them.

Thanks,
HT

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steed does MTM (I think they call it semi-bespoke) starting at 1300 GBP per suit. They do a drape/soft tailoring style, a lot of their stuff can be seen in the Anderson and Sheppard expatriots threat.

HotToddy

Reaction score

useless_username

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. Why no just visit various shops / trunk shows and see what they offer? Surely it's much better to see for yourself and talk to the staff than ask opinions on an online forum?

As for 'modern and stylish' look (what ever that means for you), have you been to Suit Supply or Hackett?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about Anglo-Italian's MTM, too, and also couldn't manage to find any pictures of finished work. Just checked their website and noticed there's no longer any mention of MTM. I wonder if they've put it on hold.

HotToddy

Reaction score
I was hoping to hear some first hand experience and recommendations. It would be useful to hear feedback and critiques of the various offerings and point me in some directions I have not considered?

I was under the impression this was a forum, but if it's just somewhere to show off your new Edward green boots I'll leave.

HotToddy

Reaction score
I messed up the quote in my reply above. It was meant to be quoting useless' first paragraph.

As for 'modern and stylish' look (what ever that means for you), have you been to Suit Supply or Hackett?

I haven't considered Suit Supply because I have heard mixed reviews. I will do some research on it.

I've had a few off the peg suits and jackets from Hackett. I haven't heard much about their mtm. How is the quality?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London literally has a tonne of options. Aside from the ones already mentioned, there’s Corneliani, Zegna, Dunhill, Ralph Lauren, etc...

G

Griffindork

HotToddy -
You are off to a good start. My advice is to reach out to the crompton directly. He will answer you. Dude is a consummate pro and a cool mutha fucka to boot. I checked in with him because I gained a little weight and need some new suits. To be honest, I gained a lot of weight. I basically have a closet full of **** that looks like spandex. No one ever tells you what is and isn’t a single serving. Sometimes I put on a tie, look in the mirror at the tie against my shirt and think of a kite floating against the vast abyss of infinite space and wonder how I let myself go. Anyways, the choice you are making is basically stylistic so try some **** on and see what feels good. If you need me I’m at Arby’s.
Grif-a-dif-a-do

Quesjac

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum,

This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker.

I have tried searching for this topic but couldn't find much, especially on the brands I am interested in.

I'm planning to treat myself to two MTM suits in the new year and was looking for some feedback and advice. I think I prefer the look of softer tailoring and can justify up to £2k per suit. These will be my first suits not bought off the rack.

I read permanent style occasionally and Simon gave a rave review to Samon Amel so I'm thinking of using them. Has anyone used them and which line did you go for; Napoli or Toscana?

Also Anglo Italian looks interesting but I can't find too much info on their finished products. Also maybe Drakes or Trunk MTM?

I was also considering P Johnson but after they got slammed on permanent style I think I will avoid them.

Thanks,
HT

Since you're getting less than helpful advice.

Anglo Italian product is really nice. I didn't love the standard jacket block but no reason you won't. Definitely go and try on a few and ask about MTM.

Trunk has Boglioli, Caruso and a house MTM, also great design sensibility. More Northern Italian aesthetics vs. AI's Neapolitan vibe. More to my taste, personally. All three are great options.

I've no particular opinion on Drake's suits, except that the casual designs (corduroy) look great if they fit your needs.

Richard Gelding has Canali MTM.

I wouldn't put too much by negative blog reviews of product (and I say that as someone with a blog who sometimes writes reviews). Reviews should alert you to things which are worth your time looking at, but everyone has bad days, from the biggest names to the newest makers.

If you mean the P Johnson made in China thing then sure, you might find that sways you. It's hardly the only time people have been a bit partial in their descriptions. There's a brand on SF which seems to have a lot of buzz, which advertised their 'handmade shirts' and suits all over the place, and when I asked them directly they said that people used their hands to operate the machines, and they were 100% machine made. There's Gieves RTW you can find with 'Made in England' labels, which were presumably attached where the suits were made, in Mauritius.

HotToddy

Reaction score
Since you're getting less than helpful advice.

Anglo Italian product is really nice. I didn't love the standard jacket block but no reason you won't. Definitely go and try on a few and ask about MTM.

Trunk has Boglioli, Caruso and a house MTM, also great design sensibility. More Northern Italian aesthetics vs. AI's Neapolitan vibe. More to my taste, personally. All three are great options.

I've no particular opinion on Drake's suits, except that the casual designs (corduroy) look great if they fit your needs.

Richard Gelding has Canali MTM.

I wouldn't put too much by negative blog reviews of product (and I say that as someone with a blog who sometimes writes reviews). Reviews should alert you to things which are worth your time looking at, but everyone has bad days, from the biggest names to the newest makers.

If you mean the P Johnson made in China thing then sure, you might find that sways you. It's hardly the only time people have been a bit partial in their descriptions. There's a brand on SF which seems to have a lot of buzz, which advertised their 'handmade shirts' and suits all over the place, and when I asked them directly they said that people used their hands to operate the machines, and they were 100% machine made. There's Gieves RTW you can find with 'Made in England' labels, which were presumably attached where the suits were made, in Mauritius.

Thanks. I think I will go and check out Anglo Italian when they reopen after the Christmas break. If it looks good they will probably get my business due to the convenience of them having a physical store.

Also I don't have a problem with what country anything is made, but I wouldn't like to be lied to and I would rather not give my business to companies that engage in these practices.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I would also suggest Pal Zileri. You can pop into Canali, Zegna, Corneliani and Pal Zileri on the same stretch of Bond St and discuss made-to-measure options. Boggi on Jermyn St also does MtM. If you like the product, I would suggest opting for the maker whose standard ready-to-wear fits you best around the shoulders as this is likely to be a fit benefit carried over into the mtm blocks. None of these are ‘soft tailoring’ per se, but they are by no means stiff. They may also have less structured mtm blocks to cater for contemporary tastes. If all are too structured for you, then places like Anglo Italian and Trunk would be good places to look next.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I have nothing to add except that Anglo-Italian makes some beautiful clothing including tailoring. Their color and material choices are fantastic and they look modern without looking trendy. I spoke with Alex at the store briefly earlier this year and he was very nice as well.

Reaction score
I have nothing to add except that Anglo-Italian makes some beautiful clothing including tailoring. Their color and material choices are fantastic and they look modern without looking trendy. I spoke with Alex at the store briefly earlier this year and he was very nice as well.
Hi,

New to the blog!

Can agree with sargeinaz, anglo-italian make some great suits & shirts, have had a suit made by them and couldnt be happier, also tried P .Johnson in London, happy with it as well, one of their tailors there, Gavin, did a great job!

Someone mentioned in another thread a shop called Casual fitters in Spitalfields, they are stating on their website that they do a £600 MTM suit with a full canvas using holland & sherry, vbc or zegna fabrics, made in portugal. I don't see how that is possible for the price considering the same would cost £800-900 from suit supply, £1100ish from hackett and they are made in china.

Anyone used them before? Considering getting a knock around suit from them

Anyone got suggestions for a similair price point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads