• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM, how many tries before correct fit?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, for those who went MTM on their suits. Typically, how many times from a single manufacturer/tailor before you get the fit spot on?

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
For myself as a client, it's typically two fittings before it's just right. But I can admittedly be a pain ********** as a client.
shog[1].gif

For my clients, I usually do it in one or two fittings, with a second fitting being the rarity. I can't remember needing more than that. After the first or second suit, though, the measurements are pretty refined, and thus, the finishing work is less and less.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I had great fit for many years. Then one day a salesman said they should re-measure because it had been so long. Everything new was screwed up after that and I stopped using those idiots.

Can't be faulted on that one. "If it ain't broke..."

finch

Reaction score
I might by lucky but there are a couple great and reputable tailors in my city, the one I use has been spot on every time.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MTM has never gotten me to the correct fit. IMO it is the biggest rip off in the clothing world. Better to get discounted RTW or high end bespoke.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^^^

I agree 100%. Give me Ebay or outlet pricing on Isaia or Kiton and a highly competent independent tailor like Wilfred's over MTM.

I spent way too much time and money at the Oxxford store and at Barneys on MTM that always disappointed.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting question.

I don't believe it's possible for pure MTM to give you a completely correct fit. However, it's possible for it to get fairly close and then a few final tweaks on the delivered product by the tailor can finesse it to very close indeed (close enough for me, most of the time, though not as complete a fit as good bespoke).

However, you are dependent on both a good fitter and a good alteration tailor at the end to work this method. But if it works, it's certainly a lot cheaper than good bespoke and you have significant flexibility of customisation in terms of fabric, style, etc compared to RTW.

With my Ede MTM, the first suit delivered needed a fair few alterations. The second took far fewer. The third only a little. And so on. On the most recent one which I took delivery of yesterday, all we had to do for me to be happy was fix the sleeve length on one side a bit. The suits are delivered unfinished in terms of sleeve and trouser length, so this presents no problem.

RTW, MTM and bespoke all have pros and cons.

RTW - high-end easily found discounted. So if you find a make that fits you pretty well, a good alterations tailor can make it look excellent at an overall bargain price. Con - limited/no customisation.
MTM - dependent on a good fitter, a good basic fit on delivery (took me two goes to achieve this I'd say), and a good (preferably in-house, so no extra cost) final alterations tailor. If you can get all that, it's good value way to get a very good fit with lots of scope for customisation. Con - it's rare to get all those good things together. Since I've been fairly lucky to get this combination, for me MTM is my "value sweet spot".
bespoke - unlimited customisation, theoretically superior fit (achievable only after a few goes, I'd say). Con - good bespoke is relatively expensive.

aragon765

Reaction score
^^^ nice answer

with my proportions, altering OTR is very difficult, and bespoke is not affordable for me. With MTM (good fittings and tailor), I find I can get something that matches my fit AND budget needs.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I would ever (again) do the standard MTM, where they deliver a finished or nearly finished garment at the first fitting. It seems that the odds are stacked against the garment, and then you're using alterations to fix something that's broken. I'm fairly happy with either high-end RTW, where you can try on the garment before you buy it (or have an option of return) or the Mr. Ned approach, where the process is closer to bespoke, albeit starting with a stock pattern. My first garment from them was pretty good, my second better. But even with bespoke I've heard time and again a perfect fit on the first garment is unlikely.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how many measurements are taken during these MTM fittings, especially the bad ones.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlestonBows
I'd be curious to know how many measurements are taken during these MTM fittings, especially the bad ones.

The best mtm results should come from putting you in the jacket close to your size and listing all the corrections that need to be made. If they don't have all the models and sizes available to try on, they have to send body measurements and let someone at a factory who's never seen you decide what the corrections are. At least with the first option, you know basically what to expect; I tried the latter once and got something unwearable.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Hopefully 2, the second being today so I can have my suit soon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There's a flaw in the premise of the question. It assumes that the MTM salespeople and fitters are noticing little problems, taking good notes, and taking care to ensure that all the information gets transmitted to makers. In other words, it assumes that most MTM programs take the effort to make cumulative adjustments and improvements to your pattern. But they don't. It's more accurate to assume that every new MTM garment, even from a maker you have already tried, is treated as a one-off.

thomaus247

Reaction score
If your MTM is not fitting perfectly on the third fitting, there is a problem.

And while what Manton says may be the reality with numerous mfg's and retailers it is not the way it is supposed to work. It is the retailers, or tailors, responsibility to take good notes and to update the pattern or measurements. Those who do this properly are rewarded with return business. If the retailer (I can't really speak to how it happens at a mfg or bespoke tailor) knows that the supplier is not updating the pattern, they must either be sure to do it themselves, or the better option, not to continue to send mtm orders to that mfg.

my thoughts,

Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads