• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM General Questions

RevisIsland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
But neither will your OTR fit if your body changes. Many people forget that.

The basic advantage that OTR has over MTM is that you can try it on before you decide.
The basic advantage of MTM is that it has the potential to fit you better, especially if you are difficult to fit, but there is no guarantee. (Unless the proprietor guarantees fit).
It also lets you specify a myriad of options, albeit for a fixed design/cut.

Point taken. I have considered that. My counter would be that an advantage of OTR over MTM is that you have the opportunity to buy a deep discount. I might be able to find and get a full canvassed Trofeo suit for under 500 whereas I will pay a minimum of 1200 for MTM suit with that material. Still, for a wedding I think it makes the most sense to go MTM so the fit is closer to perfect.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want OTR, easy to find on sale, and normal looking, try some of the Fitzgerald cut Golden Fleece suits at Brooks Brothers.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, you might be able to find OTR at a discount, but will it be exactly what you are looking for?

Or let me put it this way: If you can find a suit in the cloth you want, with the design you want, with the options you want, and it fits you well, too, all for $500, you would be stupid not to buy it.

OTR is all about compromises.
Custom is all about uncertainty.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
To answer the above: what I want is a suit with a good fabric (soft hand) that is well constructed and will last me several years with regular use. I can make some stylistic compromises--would like high armholes and soft shoulder / slim fit --- but that's about it...oh and side tabs would be nice but not required

So I looked into Samuelsohn and it looks like the only store that sells this suit MTM in the area is Paul Stuart. It also looks like it will be outside my budget. Another retailer that supposedly sells Samuelsohn (not sure if they do MTM) is Family Britches in chappaqua, NY. Any experiences there?

I was intrigued to find that someone on these forums was able to get a MTM suit directly from Martin Greenfield. I think I would feel the most comfortable dropping 1000 on one of his suits but it sounds like it may be a referral only business.

I am a perfect fit with a 40R suit at brooks in the regent, fitzgerald and milano suits so I would consider going that route. From what I have read the only lines that do full canvass are Golden Fleece and Black Fleece. Black Fleece is too fashion forward. Golden Fleece it looks like no longer uses Greenfield- they use Southwick or outsource to China. I don't see any made in italy on the website so it looks like they stopped using Caruso. If Greenfield still did Golden Fleece or even Caruso I would strongly consider getting one after Christmas when they go on sale. I think my best option at Brooks would be to wait for a warehouse sale and see if I can get my hands on an older model.

New York is most likely my best bet but I will be in Chicago next weekend if anyone has any recommendations out there. I also travel to DC and Boston quite often so I could look there as well.

Grenadier

Reaction score
You can get Greenfield from Brooks Brothers' MTM line, it's just not Golden Fleece. At least that's what was represented to me a couple months ago. I don't see any Chinese-made Golden Fleece on the website, although it wouldn't surprise me as even BB is shipping more and more stuff over there.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RevisIsland
To answer the above: what I want is a suit with a good fabric (soft hand) that is well constructed and will last me several years with regular use. I can make some stylistic compromises--would like high armholes and soft shoulder / slim fit --- but that's about it...oh and side tabs would be nice but not required

So I looked into Samuelsohn and it looks like the only store that sells this suit MTM in the area is Paul Stuart. It also looks like it will be outside my budget. Another retailer that supposedly sells Samuelsohn (not sure if they do MTM) is Family Britches in chappaqua, NY. Any experiences there?

I was intrigued to find that someone on these forums was able to get a MTM suit directly from Martin Greenfield. I think I would feel the most comfortable dropping 1000 on one of his suits but it sounds like it may be a referral only business.

I am a perfect fit with a 40R suit at brooks in the regent, fitzgerald and milano suits so I would consider going that route. From what I have read the only lines that do full canvass are Golden Fleece and Black Fleece. Black Fleece is too fashion forward. Golden Fleece it looks like no longer uses Greenfield- they use Southwick or outsource to China. I don't see any made in italy on the website so it looks like they stopped using Caruso. If Greenfield still did Golden Fleece or even Caruso I would strongly consider getting one after Christmas when they go on sale. I think my best option at Brooks would be to wait for a warehouse sale and see if I can get my hands on an older model.

New York is most likely my best bet but I will be in Chicago next weekend if anyone has any recommendations out there. I also travel to DC and Boston quite often so I could look there as well.

if youre going to chicago go to syd jerome on 2 n lasalle st, they have many mtm options starting at about a grand, they are friendly patient and knowledgeable. i had terrific time there

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No
No
No

Find a local tailor who does make them in his own workroom.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
Stopped by family britches:

3 mtm options

A. Jack victor - no thanks
B. Samuelsohn- starts at 1200
C. Hickey Freeman- starts at 1500

Basically can use any fabric.

Salesperson told me the construction was full canvas. But certain parts of the jacket are fused. He said the chest area is all full canvas and thats what matters most.

He recommended a super 150s Loro Tasmanian 9 oz. Basically wrinkle resistant and very soft hand (15.5 microns)

1750 for hickey freeman but will be 10% off all mtm in January. He said samuelsohn would be a couple hundred less.

Anyone have any experience with hickey Freeman mtm?

Anyone h

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about thick as thieves, they have a thread at the SWD section if you want to read more.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
Read all about tat. Actually considered buying a suit from Jason in the summer. They didn't have a great selection of fabrics and I'm afraid the conservative cut may be too fashion forward if I brought the suit to the office

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
No
No
No

Find a local tailor who does make them in his own workroom.

i dont see why this is so important, if you cant find someone near who will take care of you right/provide what you need at at a price you can afford there is no reason you cant buy out of town.
as far doing work in his own workroom i see the point, but if you can be assured that the tailor you use has a lonstanding relationship with the manufacturer the measurmets should be interpreted just fine, and with a good mtm provider they will have the ability to make any adjusments if necessary free of charge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads