• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Fitters.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
I am in the predicament of being unable to wear RTW due to my size (Very tall and thin) and unable to afford full bespoke.

Without question, the fitter (person taking the measurements) is the key to a good MTM suit. I propose a consolidated list of recommended fitters. Any help here?

Brooks Brothers, GF: Martin Greenfield. NYC. Base $1,100USD
Oxxford: Chicago, 346 NYC, trunk shows. Base $2,400 (maybe sales on end bolts)
WWChan: Patrick Chu- Hong Kong or trunk show. Base $800
Mr Ned. NYC. Base $800
Hickey Freeman: Izzy LS Mens Clothing. NYC - Base $800
Ralph Lauren: Several flagship locations. trunk shows. $1400
Samuelsohn:
Zegna:

etc.

Cheers,
D

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford offers an end bolt special at under $2k.

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Oxxford offers an end bolt special at under $2k.

Is there something wrong with the fabric at the end of a bolt? Or are they just trying to get rid of fabric so they do not have lots of bolts with little fabric on them?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can you do bespoke Oxxford?
and est. starting cost?

the42n8s1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jolly Green
Brooks Brothers, GF: Martin Greenfield. NYC. Base $1,100USD
Oxxford: 57th or Brooks 346. NYC. Base $2,400
WWChan: Patrick- Hong Kong or trunk show. Base $800
Mr Ned. NYC. Base $800
Hickey Freeman:
Ralph Lauren:
Samuelsohn:
Zegna:

Hickey Freeman: $1200
Ralph Lauren: $1400 ($1200 during a trunk show)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken as my information is from last year when I was shopping for a MTM.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
Is there something wrong with the fabric at the end of a bolt? Or are they just trying to get rid of fabric so they do not have lots of bolts with little fabric on them?

There's nothing at all wrong with the fabric, just odds and ends. In some cases there may only be enough for a sportcoat or small sized suit but the fabric may be incredible and yet you'll only be charged a flat fee. You could get a $5k+ MTM suit for $2k.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Where can you do bespoke Oxxford?
and est. starting cost?

For a nominal surcharge, Oxxford offers MTM (with a try on and pattern) at their Chicago workrooms and at their NYC flagship store. Standard MTM starts at around $2.5k and is available at trunk shows, their retail outlets as well as the previously mentioned locations. A workroom fitting is preferred followed by the flagship and trunk show but I'd avoid a fitting at a retailer(except SFA Chicago).

ChazzR

Reaction score
Jolly,
There's also Izzy at LS Men's Clothing in NYC. He works with H Freeman. There are a few threads with info and opinions on Izzy. I've used him and think he's pretty good. He'll probably run you about $800.

You start wearing the blue and brown
You're working for the clampdown

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
For a nominal surcharge, Oxxford offers MTM (with a try on and pattern) at their Chicago workrooms and at their NYC flagship store. Standard MTM starts at around $2.5k and is available at trunk shows, their retail outlets as well as the previously mentioned locations. A workroom fitting is preferred followed by the flagship and trunk show but I'd avoid a fitting at a retailer(except SFA Chicago).

They don't do bespoke?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
They don't do bespoke?

Nope, just MTM. That's the subject of this thread
wink.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
A Martin Greenfield suit that's fully canvassed with hand work will cost about $2400 at Brooks Brothers.

I thought that the base price was significantly lower than this - somewhere around $1800.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I thought that the base price was significantly lower than this - somewhere around $1800.

I was paying the higher amount when I last bought there but there may have been a surcharge for the fabrics I chose. And/or the base price may have less handwork or be for a different design. High waisted trousers, for example, use an extra half metre of cloth over belted trousers.

Given what Greenfield charges them for the model I used to order (I've seen the invoices) and the retail price of Holland & Sherry or comparable cloth
($450 for 4 metres of Super 80), I doubt if they can be charging less than $2300 for a jacket and trousers.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
If you do NM, for instance, then if they screw it up you don't have to take the suit.
That is the intended point of this thread. Where are the RELIABLE fitters (stores and specific people)? I would assume that department stores are generally hit and miss. . . and probably mostly miss.

I'll try to keep the initial post updated as info comes in for easy access of info.

Can I expect better work from a flagship store? (Polo Mansion, etc?)

Cheers,
D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads