• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Fesco Suit

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a MTM fresco suit for the summer. I have a few questions about fresco fabrics in general, and would also like to hear from someone who has had this done.

When getting a fresco suit, what is typically done with the lining? Are they generally half-lined for ventilation? Can you see through them in sunlight (especially the unlined parts)? When not in direct sunlight, is the suit fabric generally indistinguishable from regular worsted wool? Is there anything else I need to know about fresco?

I asked one MTM place in NJ if they would be getting any fresco fabrics in for the spring/summer line, and he didn't know what I was talking about. I probably won't be using him. Do most MTM places stock a line of frescos? I will go to another MTM place in NYC (LS Men's) at some point and ask them. They seemed to have a larger fabric selection.

Also, if anyone knows any OTR makers of frescos that would be available in the NYC area, I would certainly consider those as well, as I am not too difficult to fit.

Edit: Also, how do they wear? Does the fabric not last as long as a typical 3-season? And are the fabrics going to be labeled "fresco" or am I just looking for a certain weight?

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with experience with fresco suits offer any advice on the usual configuration of one? I would also like input on whether or not the pants should be lined, and if not, do I need to worry about someone being able to see through them

Thanks

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe fresco is a name specific to Minnis. Link is here. Smith's makes a similar version called finmeresco. Both are wool fabrics with porous weaves. I have a blazer in fresco that is quarter-lined to make use of the porous weave as it's a summer blazer. Fresco comes in all weights. It has a feel different from worsted wool, some consider it "rustic" but it's subjective. It also comes in all weights. In addition to it being porous it's also crease resistant so I think some people like the heavier weight stuff for travel suits even outside of the summer months.

The blazer I have is in the lightest weight Minnis makes, and despite this it wears really well. I'm not sure what kind of lining is recommended for fresco trousers that are going to be worn during the summer. I'd probably discuss it with the tailor.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland & Sherry make CrispAire, which is their version of Fresco, but I've never seen it in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics