• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Comparison

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I know there are many MTM threads, but I am extremely overwhelmed right now with all the different stores online, I feel like there are about a hundred different websites. Can people give me the stores they've had the best experiences with? I live in Japan, so worldwide shipping is a must. I wish there was a sticky thread where people could just share general experiences, but anyways. Any help in picking a good one?

pnewelljr

Reaction score
No recommendations? I am interested in people who have bought from more then one site and who can actually compare services

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I expect there's no recommendations because:

1. You have been very unspecific - MTM what? Suits, shirts, shoes, something else, everything? and;
2. Yes, there are already lots of threads on this subject and it's generally expected that you make the effort to search them first.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I'm mostly looking for shirts. And I had already gone through many of the MTM threads before making this post.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main problem with MTM-online-stores is that IMHO they are not truly MTM: MTM implies that something is tailored specifically to your body proportions. This, however, requires in the first step that these body proportions are accurately measured, which is not the case with online offerings where you measure yourself or try to get measures of some well fitting shirt.

If you are in Japan the recommendation would be try to find a local MTM service and order from there. Or alternatively see if it possible to take a trip to Shanghai or Hong Kong, visit a local tailor, get yourself measured so they have your pattern on file and order afterwards based on this pattern.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can people give me the stores they've had the best experiences with?

My only online MTM experience so far is with MyTailor.com, but I'm expecting my first delivery from a competing company next week. I'll get back to you after I've laundered the new shirt a few times and have been able to make a fair comparison.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascot Chang. Probably the best shirtmaker in Asia.

themodestman

Reaction score
If you have one shirt you like already, you can use that for measurements. Otherwise, but one MTM shirt from a local clothier with a good rep (it'll cost you but it's worth it) and use that for ordering from online suppliers. You can't go wrong with Proper Cloth, Blank Label, etc. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you have one shirt you like already, you can use that for measurements. Otherwise, but one MTM shirt from a local clothier with a good rep (it'll cost you but it's worth it) and use that for ordering from online suppliers. You can't go wrong with Proper Cloth, Blank Label, etc. Just depends on how much you want to spend.
x100.

Last edited:

ArdenReed

Reaction score
i feel like our shirts at www.ardenreed.com are very specific and very well fitting. They are bespoke, meaning they won't cut the fabric until they get your measurements. And oh by the way, we take 8 measurements for shirts and still give an allowance after you receive your shirt if further alterations are needed

lennyslen

Reaction score
Finding a truly MTM shirt is definitely overwhelming, trust me, I KNOW. But I found this New York based company called Beyler & Turk that have an excellent variety of shirts to choose from. Not only that, but the instructional steps on how to measure yourself are thorough. Got my shirt in about 2 weeks. Highly recommend!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads