• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Chicago

HLR182

Reaction score
Looking for some input on options in Chicago. Traveling there soon. Unfortunately bespoke is not in the budget (looking to spend maybe $1800), but I need a very nice, well fitting suit by mid September for the big date. Looking for something versatile. Although I realize I could probably get more bang for my buck buying rtw online, I have had very bad luck buying suits online. I generally buy decent quality garments, but they just never seem to fit right and I do not have a great tailor in my area. Yes, I do realize that MTM isn't the best quality and doesnt always fit perfect, etc., but at this point I think it's my best shot for a well fitting suit.

So far, I am looking at BLVDier https://www.blvdier.com/aboutblvdier and Hall Madden https://hallmadden.com/chicago/. I also saw ESQ clothing, but they seem a little out of the price range. I looked at WW Chan travel schedule and unfortunately I will miss US dates that would deliver in time. Other suggestions? Advice? Warnings regarding the places I'm considering?

Thanks!

letsgofire

Reaction score
Nicholas Joseph does a nice job and there are many options in the 1000-1500 range. Give him a look.

HLR182

Reaction score
I will add them to the list. Thank you.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For $1800 you can buy a good RTW suit in person and then have it tailored and shipped to you. I'd suggest that you check out Paul Stuart when you're in Chicago. I've heard Morris and Sons is also good but I've never been there.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Knowing your fitting issues will help you identify who to use. Discuss how you want the suit to fit in regards to your fitting issues. MTM programs are not all the same regarding adjustments to the garment and the person you deal with should have enough knowledge and understanding of how to identify the issues and communicate it to the maker.
If you are considering RTW; make sure what you need altered to make the suit fit is possible to do. This will determine what will work for you.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had good results with BLVDier, but I would imagine he's pretty easy to fit into a suit off the rack. I like the look of their stuff on IG and they've been very responsive to PMs about their garments, which is probably an indication of good customer service.

I would probably put his stuff on-par with my Kent Wang MTM items, which I've always thought were a good ratio of quality and affordable.

I also recently commissioned a piece from MyTailor/Hemrajani Bros, who regularly make trips out to Chicago and are definitely in that price range. I've yet to receive the item, but they have good reports on SF and my initial meeting with them went well.

HLR182

Reaction score
Knowing your fitting issues will help you identify who to use. Discuss how you want the suit to fit in regards to your fitting issues. MTM programs are not all the same regarding adjustments to the garment and the person you deal with should have enough knowledge and understanding of how to identify the issues and communicate it to the maker.
If you are considering RTW; make sure what you need altered to make the suit fit is possible to do. This will determine what will work for you.

I’m not looking for anything super trendy. The very slim cut look is not great for me, but I don’t want a boxy look either. Im built sort of boxy, so a suit cut like Brooks Brothers just accentuates it. I’m not super slim, but I’m not too fat either, I’m about 5’10” 215 with a muscular build. Hoping for soft shoulders, as too much padding added to my shoulders gives me the Frankenstein look. I previously purchased an Eidos. The shoulder width was about right, but it was very tight across my back and chest and my upper arms barely fit in the sleeves. By the time the tailor adjusted that part, the suit hung strangely. Next I purchased a Stile Latino in a larger size, but I went too far the other way and once that was adjusted it looked bad too. So, now I’m just hoping for something that is a contemporary cut without going too far and that actually fits my body. Wish I had more expertise in this area to be more specific, but I thank you for your input. I do know you have a great reputation.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you explained here is the conversation to have with whoever you visit. They should have models on hand so you can observe the shoulder and silhouette. You should be able to find someone who understands what you are looking for and knows what to do from working for previous client with the same need. Avoid the makers promoting the ultra fitted slim cut. Seems like RTW isn't worth it for you

HLR182

Reaction score
What you explained here is the conversation to have with whoever you visit. They should have models on hand so you can observe the shoulder and silhouette. You should be able to find someone who understands what you are looking for and knows what to do from working for previous client with the same need. Avoid the makers promoting the ultra fitted slim cut. Seems like RTW isn't worth it for you

Ok, thanks. Are you familiar with any of the above places? Within the bounds of professional courtesy maybe you think one of those places does a decent job? I know your work is on a whole different level, but sadly not in my budget.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't heard of the two shops you mentioned. Don't know anyone to recommend. To my limited knowledge most of these places are promoting a look or style as the main course and a side dish of fit. Think you would be better served if you find a tailor who works with MTM. Working with a traveling tailor might be an option if you have the time and want to put the extra effort into meeting on their schedule

Smody121

Reaction score
Have tried Balani, Nicholas Joseph, Wilfred Newman (out of business afaik) and suit supply MTM. Ask for Jonothan at Suit Supply, he has made the best MTM suits for me in the city so far, they have a very good selection of fabrics VBC, etc.

Going to try Hemrajani in Sept next time they roll through Chicago, but I'm afraid you just missed them they were here two weeks ago

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steed is a great option, and their MTM is within your budget. As above, though, you just missed them. They won't be back before October now.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had good results with BLVDier, but I would imagine he's pretty easy to fit into a suit off the rack. I like the look of their stuff on IG and they've been very responsive to PMs about their garments, which is probably an indication of good customer service.

I would probably put his stuff on-par with my Kent Wang MTM items, which I've always thought were a good ratio of quality and affordable.

I also recently commissioned a piece from MyTailor/Hemrajani Bros, who regularly make trips out to Chicago and are definitely in that price range. I've yet to receive the item, but they have good reports on SF and my initial meeting with them went well.

FWIW I'm about 90% sure BLVDIER and Kent Wang use the same manufacturer, though my understanding is Kent charges considerably less...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I'm about 90% sure BLVDIER and Kent Wang use the same manufacturer, though my understanding is Kent charges considerably less...

yea, I've had that suspicion as well...the only differences I've seen between them is the kangaroo ticket pocket for patch pocket jackets and a beveled shawl lapel for tuxedos which KW doesn't offer either. I'm pretty sure that particular manufacturer has an option to create specific cuts outside their stock options, so maybe thats what BLVDier does as opposed to KW. Plus i would pay a premium to be measured/do the trial fitting in person as opposed to via email. Also, I haven't priced them both out, but I would imagine the prices get a bit closer for H&S, Ariston, and Harris Tweed fabrics, which KW only does via CMT

HLR182

Reaction score
I made a decision and am moving forward with a clothier. Lots of great suggestions, so thank you everyone. I will let you all know who I went with and how it turned out once complete.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads