• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Chambray Workshirt Group Buy – Second Order Starts Sat. 9/26! (both shirts)

english

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lance
english - I think we are planning on submitting measurements based on a favorite shirt.

gotcha, thanks lance!

english

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I've emailed Nathan to ask about making the collar tab optional, but haven't heard back yet.

Since this is 'MTM over the web', body measurements won't necessarily work well. Measurements for this shirt are taken from a button down shirt of yours that fits you how you would like this shirt to fit. I will post detailed instructions on how to do this once we have finalized the design and color options. When I measured one of my shirts that fits well, but was a little too big in the body, I actually spent a little time pinning the shirt smaller, seeing how it fit me, and then taking measurements off of the pinned shirt. All in all, I think it turned out well. This is definitely something you want to take your time on, because if you mess it up, you wind up with a shirt that doesn't fit. If you would like help from someone else, such as a tailor, by all means...

yeh, i always have a problem with shirts having arm holes that are too big. they wind up pulling on the chest every time i reach for something. may just get measured for insurance. would hate to wind up with a shirt that i couldn't wear...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i definitely recommend getting help with this if you want it.

english

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Yeah, i definitely recommend getting help with this if you want it.

nice. thanks for setting this up. your pictures look great!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pleasure! It'll be fun to see everyone's shirts, especially if we get a bunch of different colors.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Nathan says it would be ok to have the collar tab (neck strap) be optional, but we have to settle on one shape for the neck strap. I recommend square ended, with a slight taper towards the end. IMO, round-ended neck straps look a little silly.

Johnny Sneakers

Reaction score
The strap option sounds great. If that MrF shirt is indigo, I want something like that. Super dark indigo. I have a couple lighter blue ones but that color just looks awesome.

JSTF

Reaction score
yeah is that indigo? looks like salt and pepper or something...not indigo. got a full pic of that? + if thats the same thing in the self edge site, it says that shirt is a lightweight denim at 6oz. not chambray

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, JSTF. It's the denim Utility Shirt made from 6oz cotton Japanese denim, not chambray. I just put that photo up there to show the cuff detail. Mister Freedom did make this dark indigo chambray shirt, which I think is indigo on black.
blue1_03.jpg

JSTF

Reaction score
MFSC original end-on-end 100% cotton selvedge “chambray”.

any idea on why chambray is in quotation marks?

KBW

Reaction score
Would an Orange color be way out of the question?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dunno, JSTF. KBW- I think Nathan actually said he has orange, but I'll double check. I sent our full list of chambray color ideas to him, and now I'm waiting to hear back. Last chance to vote in the poll! I'll post results later today.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** there are way too many options for me.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time for some results! There have been 50(!) respondents to the design survey, and the results are pretty conclusive. However, only a few of the options received more than 55% of the vote. SO, I'd like to do two group buys, each with a different shirt:

Workshirt 1 - The Workman
(This one is the winning design and will be made first)
It will have...
Large open pocket with triangular topped cigarette pocket (think Engineered Garments workshirts)
Curved back yoke
Standard barrel cuff
NO inside chest pocket
Optional collar tab/neck strap
Selvage plackets and gussets
Fisheye buttons (MOP is limited but available to those who want it, others will be corozo, not plastic)
Standard open workshirt collar
Triple stitching on sides, armholes, yoke, and double elsewhere, except some single stitching on pockets and at neck
This is basically my shirt in the OP, but I don't have triple stitching

Workshirt 2 - The Navyman
(This shirt will be made second, after the Workman)
It will have...
Matching pair of USN chest pockets
Curved back yoke
Curved cuffs
Inside chest pocket selvage, hopefully
Optional collar tab/neck strap
Selvage plackets and gussets
Fisheye buttons probably all corozo
Standard open workshirt collar
Double stitching all around, except some single stitching on pockets and at neck

So, I hope you guys are happy with these two shirt options. I thought it would be easier to run two group buys at once, but The Navyman won't be made until the Workman is complete. (Pardon the semi-cheesy names- I needed some way to tell the two apart)

Please vote in the Purchase Poll, so I can tell Nathan roughly how many of each shirt he needs to make. (link is coming)

Once Nathan gets back to me with all of the chambray color choices, I'll need you all to take and send me your measurements (instructions on this are forthcoming), select chambray and button choices, and pay for your shirt(s). Some chambray colors and buttons may be limited in quantity (I will find this out), so whoever sends payment soonest gets a much better chance at getting what they want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads