• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mtm black sports coat in vancouver

elliottchow

Reaction score
Hello, I currently reside in vancouver, canada and am in the proccess of looking for a black sports coat (I like the look, irregardless of the comments), in which i can pair with jeans and t-shirt/ dress shirt. I have looked all over and cant seem anything to really fit normally. (I have ten inch drop and wide, big shoulders)

Ive been to Holts/Harry's/H&M and other stores and cannot seem to find one that fits me correctly. The best one was a club monaco 38 but it was too tight in the shoulder area as i used to lift weights. Also an Mexx which was too long in length and wide. I estimate those changes itself would cost approximately 100 dollars. So might as well pay a little more for mtm.

In essence, i have decided to get one made to measure max 500 dollars. I went to modernize tailors however, the fabric selection was pretty awful. I was wondering if any vancouverites have any good tips on where to pick up some good fabrics in vancouver and i could bring it to modernize tailors to use? or better tailors. Should I get wool or something more casaul? suggestions?

Thanks a lot

elliottchow

Reaction score
i also have sloped shoulders too add trouble to finding a jacket.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottchow
Hello, I currently reside in vancouver, canada and am in the proccess of looking for a black sports coat (I like the look, irregardless of the comments), in which i can pair with jeans and t-shirt/ dress shirt. I have looked all over and cant seem anything to really fit normally. (I have ten inch drop and wide, big shoulders) Ive been to Holts/Harry's/H&M and other stores and cannot seem to find one that fits me correctly. The best one was a club monaco 38 but it was too tight in the shoulder area as i used to lift weights. Also an Mexx which was too long in length and wide. I estimate those changes itself would cost approximately 100 dollars. So might as well pay a little more for mtm.
What are your measurements if you're a 38? Shoulder/Chest/Waist - if you're similar to me, I could suggest some places to you. I'm guessing you're short (otherwise this wouldn't be a problem if you've been to holt/harry's) ? If so, go for 38s. (btw, where is the H&M in Vancouver? I don't think I've ever been there) if you're talking about Mexx in Downtown (not the one in pacific centre)... I'd avoid it - the sales people tried to sell me a 36s - it was too small for me as I normally wear 38 and when I buttoned it up it looked like garbage & the salesman kept unbuttoning it saying it was the style of the times to keep sports coats unbuttoned. judging by your last name (I share the same last name o_O) you're Chinese - if you could maybe you should save up/wait for a trip to HK and go for tailoring there? I've recently bought & tailored a suit + 1 other sports coat cheap off ebay but for a better suit (for work) I'm going to get it from HK in the summer after I"m off school

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Mexx is garbage. Last coat I bought there started to pill within a couple weeks. Both the exterior material, and the lining.

H&M is out in Coquitlam. Just like in Toronto, the first one they opened lacks a full mens section. They lack the nicer suits, ties, etc.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Irregardless isn't a word.

first thing i noticed!

you might as well do internet MTM though. or come down to seattle and have a tailor do MTM for you, i have just the spot!

elliottchow

Reaction score
I just measured myself to a suit i recently got and the measurements are as follows

Shoulders 42 inches
Chest 39
sleeve length 22 inches
length 29.5 inches
waist 31 inch.

So with these measurements does anybody reccomend any brands i should look at for a slim black blazer? and may i ask which mtm in seattle woud be good? the price range may i ask?

elliottchow

Reaction score
vicktri..i also went to ubc commerce (not accounting though)..graduated last year so i understand the pain of getting a suit for the big 4 interviews. Just curious i read in your post that you bought those 8 eee park avenue's, are they comfortable may i ask? cause i am similar in foot size 8eee and when i tried the park avenue 8ee, they felt really uncomfortable. I think we're the same height too 5'5 haha

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, we're pretty similar in size :p So what did you choose as your option at ubc?

Btw how did you measure your shoulders?
We have the same sleeve measurement, length, similar chest, similar waist although I'm not sure if we measured the same for shoulders

The Park Aves 8 eee is really comfortable for my feet. The first time I wore them they were not comfortable but the 2nd time was much better. I wear them with orthopedics. It took me a while to get used to the snug fitting but now I really like it.

I recently acquired a very nicely cut slim Mani sports jacket, 38s and my tailor shortened the sleeves - it fits perfectly.

I also bought this suit off ebay, mario caldi 38s but I had to taper the pants, shorten the coat, shorten sleeves, let out the 29inch waist to 30-31 inch and now it looks really sharp.

For us, buying something that fits the chest area is most important imo and let the tailor do the rest or go to hk and visit some good tailors there =P (the boss/armani etc clothes at Harry's is so expensive and sizes are hard to find. I could fly to hk and get some bespoke clothes for cheaper)

btw, they have these nice cardigans at Rosen , victorinox S, fits really well.

elliottchow

Reaction score
I doubled majored in logistics in marketing, so at least we're a little different lol.
I measured my shoulders again and it turned out to be 18 inches, sorry for the mistake. As my measurements are similar to yours, how do i look when trying to buy off ebay? (How do i compare my measurments? when do i know that it might be too tight or too baggy?) Where did you acquire that mani suit may i enquire and i'll take a look at that cardigan sometime soon. Thanks for all the help so far.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Irregardless isn't a word.
Actually, irregardless is a word--just one falling into the realm of nonstandard usage. In time these words move into mainstream usage. Words that get used--such as irregardless (regardless of its current nonstandard status)--eventually become included in dictionaries as acceptable alternatives, although it may take time. If you study the history and development of the Oxford English Dictionary, you'll see that usage always trumps perceived correctness. See below from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

irregardless
One entry found for irregardless.

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

And from Wikipedia:

Summary

Irregardless seems to be moving slowly in the direction of standardization.[citation needed] It has gone from nonexistence in the 1910 publication of Etymological Dictionary of the English Language,[7] to being a normality in modern dictionary publications, and it frequently occurs in edited professional prose. The fact that its listing as a "humorous usage" has practically disappeared today supplies further evidence in favor of acceptance. However, strong resistance to this word still remains. Australian linguist Pam Peters (The Cambridge Guide to English Usage, 2004) suggests that irregardless has become fetishized, since natural examples of this word in corpora of written and spoken English are greatly outnumbered by examples where it is in fact only cited as an incorrect term.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he said black sportcoat.
eek.gif

please
do
not
spend
money
on
a
black
sportcoat
!

elliottchow

Reaction score
I know that there are not a lot of big fans of black sportscoats in this forum, but it is stil something i like. This is not intended for work, just for casual nights out, something similar to heidi slimane dior jackets and how he wears the. If i took this to a tailor in vancouver, is it possible that they be able to duplicate it? If not what better alternatives are there?

Link
http://hauteconcept.com/wp-content/u...de-slimane.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads