• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM/Bespoke Recommendations in NYC

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Hello, All!
I will be in NYC next weekend, and then again at the end of January, and am looking for recommendations on a MTM or possibly Bespoke suit. I currently own 1 navy hopsack I ordered from Oliver Wicks, which came out perfectly lovely. I realize I could go with an online version again, but I figured I'll be in NYC, and had the in-person experience of being measured by a professional, etc. I'm coming from Tampa, FL and there really are not many options around these parts.

I am aiming to keep the budget around $2k, so I realize MTM is probably the best option. Additionally, I'm not looking for anything too customized, just standard staples. I'm looking for either a grey quarter-lined fresco double-breasted peak lapel (It's always hot in FL), or charcoal flannel/chalk stripe double-breasted peak lapel (so I have something ready when it is cold) OR go straight for the tuxedo I want, and will wear often (I am a fan of the theater/opera/symphony, and would wear it there).

I came across this
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/mtm-and-bespoke-makers-in-nyc.689987/ which leads to this list: https://dresscode.danhakimi.com/mtm-bespoke-nyc/ which was immensely helpful in finding options, but I wonder if anyone could provide recommendations. Because I'm coming from afar, it would be nice to find someone experience AND reliable.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

TexasToast

Reaction score
I haven't heard too much about Kashiyama on SF but I got a MTM suit from them and was very happy with the results. I'll rattle off a list of mtm/bespoke stores in NYC others can chime in. Ive had no mtm or bespoke experience with any of the stores listed below except Kashiyama.

The Armoury Tribeca
Kashiyama
Suit Supply
Indochino

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At that price, MTM is a better option. However, you will want to find a place that has fitting garments. These are sample garments that will allow you to see how you look in the company's base pattern

Try The Armoury and No Man Walks Alone.

I highly recommend you don't do Indochino. I also would be very cautious about Suitsupply, maybe even recommending against them.

Unless you are a difficult fit, you may be better with off the rack.

Last edited:

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
At that price, MTM is a better option. However, you will want to find a place that has fitting garments. These are sample garments that will allow you to see how you look in the company's base pattern

Try The Armoury and No Man Walks Alone.

I highly recommend you don't do Indochino. I also would be very cautious about Suitsupply, maybe even recommending against them.

Unless you are a difficult fit, you may be better with off the rack.
Thanks for the respone! I generally fit a 40R off the peg nicely. Would I just be able to inquire if they have fitting garments before making an appointment?

I was planning on avoiding Indochino and Suitsupply. I was leaning toward Michael Andrews, Cand & Dandy, Alan David, Franco Ercole, or Alan Flusser. I will check into the 2 you mentioned. Do you have experience with them?

I actually was hoping to have more responses to this thread from those with experience. Maybe my price point is too low?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the respone! I generally fit a 40R off the peg nicely. Would I just be able to inquire if they have fitting garments before making an appointment?

I was planning on avoiding Indochino and Suitsupply. I was leaning toward Michael Andrews, Cand & Dandy, Alan David, Franco Ercole, or Alan Flusser. I will check into the 2 you mentioned. Do you have experience with them?

I actually was hoping to have more responses to this thread from those with experience. Maybe my price point is too low?

I don't have experience with any MTM program, but I've used several bespoke tailors. I've bought ready-to-wear suits from The Armoury and think they sell nice things. I've also seen a made-to-measure No Man Walks Alone garment on a friend. I think he looks good in his clothes.

You can always ask if they have fitting garments before making an appointment. Appointments are not a commitment to buying. You can make an appointment and just ask questions.

I'm not a fan of the stuff I've seen from Michael Andrews.

I've never heard of Alan David.

Of the tailoring shops you listed, I would try Cad & The Dandy, Ercole, and Alan Flusser.

There's a smaller community here now of people who use custom tailors, so this may be the reason why you haven't gotten many responses. It's also somewhat of a well-covered topic. When searching for feedback on this forum, it's worth doing a search for older threads to see if this has been covered. Threads prior to 2012 are often good.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
I don't have experience with any MTM program, but I've used several bespoke tailors. I've bought ready-to-wear suits from The Armoury and think they sell nice things. I've also seen a made-to-measure No Man Walks Alone garment on a friend. I think he looks good in his clothes.

You can always ask if they have fitting garments before making an appointment. Appointments are not a commitment to buying. You can make an appointment and just ask questions.

I'm not a fan of the stuff I've seen from Michael Andrews.

I've never heard of Alan David.

Of the tailoring shops you listed, I would try Cad & The Dandy, Ercole, and Alan Flusser.

There's a smaller community here now of people who use custom tailors, so this may be the reason why you haven't gotten many responses. It's also somewhat of a well-covered topic. When searching for feedback on this forum, it's worth doing a search for older threads to see if this has been covered. Threads prior to 2012 are often good.
Thank you so much for the recon! I will heed your advice, although I was concerned that conversations dating back that old may be obsolete in terms of current active tailors.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add on to the above, I don't get my tailoring done in NYC, but when I'm there I always get to the Armoury. Though I don't have any MTM from them, their OTR garments are top rate if you find something that fits you well. I would have full confidence in their MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads