• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MS Explorer Ver. 7, Do I Upgrade?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a C, C+ with a computer(with me doing the grading).

Would some of you technically adept folks out there give me an opinion.

Upgrade to MS Explorer Version 7 Beta, or stay with 6?

I'm aware of a previous thread on Browsers on SF. I'm tempted to try Firefox but all I'm looking for is stability and no glitz. I've been using computers since 1981(very rudimentary as you can see) and Microsoft used to be notorious for causing problems and glitches when you used a competitor's product. Is it still like that somewhat?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VOID!

It will be a while before I decide to (or, rather, forced) to install on my PC at home. Let everyone else act as beta (or should that be alpha? *snigger*) testers for what is going to be a very complex edition of IE.

phooi

Reaction score
Install Firefox. It is more stable, faster, and less prone to spyware. IE 7 is basically IE 6 with some additional features that gets it closer to Firefox's functionality.

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phooi
Install Firefox. It is more stable, faster, and less prone to spyware. IE 7 is basically IE 6 with some additional features that gets it closer to Firefox's functionality.

Totally agree. You lose all the ActiveX security problems, and Firefox lets you turn off Jave and JAvascript if you want, to further cut down on security risks. You can even set up multiple profiles with different security settings.

I've got a "normal" profile and a "safe" profile, where the safe profile has java and javascript turned off. That way, if I see a link that I want to check out, but don't know about, I can use the "safe" profile just in case.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I personally use the Opera browser, mainly because of its mouse-gesture functionality. I've found this to be an extremely convenient time-saver. Opera probably offers better security than IE7 and equal amounts of protection compared to Firefox, albeit I'm no computer whiz myself. Just my $0.02.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
You're going to be forced to "upgrade" in a little while no matter what you do, but I agree with the other posters about Firefox. Augustus, there's actually an mouse gestures add-on for Firefox as well, though if you're comfortable with Opera you might as well keep on keepin' on.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still use IE most of the time, because Firefox is somewhat irritating now that I'm so used to IE. No matter what you use though, I recommend waiting as long as possible or at least 3-4 months to install anything new-and-major from MS (versions of IE, Service Packs, etc.). Let other people be the guinea pigs, you probably won't miss the new features.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can tailor Firefox to be as simple or as complex as you want. IE should be avoided if possible. If you can, go into IE, turn all the security settings to MAXIMUM and never run it again. This might 'break' programs that need IE to work though, like my Fidelity Active Trading stock program, so if you notice some internet programs not working after you do it, no big deal, just go back to the IE options, switch them back to MEDIUM, and never run it again.

Actually, I take that back. If you have to leave the security settings on MEDIUM, periodically open it and check it. Unfortunately, you don't even need to be using IE for it to be a security hazard and download viruses and spyware. Sad, but true.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I still use IE most of the time, because Firefox is somewhat irritating now that I'm so used to IE. No matter what you use though, I recommend waiting as long as possible or at least 3-4 months to install anything new-and-major from MS (versions of IE, Service Packs, etc.). Let other people be the guinea pigs, you probably won't miss the new features.

I disagree. I started using IE7 in beta and it's fine. I tried firefox a year ago to see what all the fuss was about but it didn't do anything for me. Most people just don't care about the extra features. For all the fuss about tabbed browsing, it's nice, but hardly worth the fanaticism that's been devoted to it.

I think most people that use firefox are just anti-ms zealots. I work with MS sofware every day and they make some really great products. Forget their ubiquitous office suite and windows xp, Visual studio .net 2005 is incredible, as is sql server 2005, windows server 2003, etc.

If you want some irony, symantec and mcafee used to knock windows about it's lack of security, but now that vista is going to lock-down the kernel on the basis of improved security they're crying foul and trying to stir-up anti-trust sentiment.

Most security breaches in MS products are caused by idiot admins and users that never patch their software. The breach is usually something that's been patched for two years.

Anyway, to respond to the OP, I would definitely upgrade.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
For all the fuss about tabbed browsing, it's nice, but hardly worth the fanaticism that's been devoted to it.

Dude... speak for yourself. I don't particularly care one way or the other about IE, but I cannot live without tabbed browsing (doesn't IE 7 have tabbed browsing anyway?). It's like a cell phone, or TiVo--once I started using it, I quickly forgot how I ever managed to live without it.

Lamo

Reaction score
Both are memory hogs.

the extensions for firefox are nice. Still prefer using ie just because of it's improved tag system.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using IE7 and FF. Little difference. EXCEPT that FF allows for different themes. I like that a lot because I get bored staring at the same old same old all the time.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think most people that use firefox are just anti-ms zealots.

Don't write it off as that so quickly. I for one, love MS software, and was a diehard IE user until FF. Of course, Firefox has its own problems (memory leaks from hell), but it is still far superior to IE.

As far as tabbed browsing, it's beyond me how you don't see its value, but hey, to each his own. I actually used a third party browser/frontend called Research Desk Pro, which was pretty much just a tabbed IE long before it was being offered as a plugin to any browser. Even back then, it completely changed the way I "browsed" the web.

I don't know if this is a moot point now with IE 7, but if you want some FF features but still want to use IE, try one called "Maxthon". I still prefer FF over Maxthon, but Maxthon does have some really neat things I wish FF had, or at least had a plugin. One of which is a great little feature, where you can grab ahold of a link or picture with your mouse, then drag it to the side, let go, and it 'drops' the file onto your desktop. VERY cool and fast for saving pictures! I think it works for any type of file also, not just photos.

Anway, my point is, I like MS and STILL prefer Firefox. Definatey not an anti-MS zealot, just ask anyone at the firm I work at regarding the grief I give them for choosing to use WordPerfect over Word, ugh!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I totally dig Firefox. My network admin is pushing IE7, but he likes headaches and Pepto-Bismol, so more power to him. For Christmas I might give him a bottle of Advil, but might go with Midol instead if he doesn't get off his soapbox.
tounge.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at this opinion, also

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads