• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Sam tries to buy breasts, gets herpes instead

Mr.Sam

Reaction score
I apologize for the misleading title. If you had to buy your friend his first 3 pairs of "nice" shoes, which would you buy? Your allowance is $1000 for the three pairs and since your friend's Aldos and the Kenneth Coles will be given to North Koreans (or burned, your choice) they would need to cover all bases. Just in case a certain friend is monitoring this thread, I am not posting this thread only because I just got a nice xmas gift from him and I got him nothing.

Thanks

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ae moras in brown calf
c&j tetbury in brown suede
peal black captoes

i think the moras have been discontinued, but can be found if you look hard enough.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IB Moar.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
C&J for RL Marlowe (on sale for ~$450)
Alden for JCrew suede boots (on sale for ~$300)

Don't really need much else...

The Thin Man

Reaction score
1. It's made by Crockett & Jones. This is currently $366 but I've seen it as low as $244 (at the end of summer sale). This takes care of formal situations, interviews, etc. If you can't wait for a better sale, look for an Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue (when endless.com has a 30-percent-off sale, they're $228): http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Broo...0,0&iccEmbed=0 2. A full-fledged Crockett & Jones suede brogue. Roughly $385. Good with suits and sports jackets. The cheaper option is the Allen-Edmonds Cambridge ($325, or $228 at 30-percent sale):
DrummondSuede-Oxfords-zoom.jpg
3.For the last, I would want a derby/blucher. These Alden cordovans can be had for as little as $492 from Sherman Bros. During a 15-percent off sale (get on their mailing list). A cheaper, more elegant Alden is the tan four-eyelet blucher on the Plaza last ($420, $357 on sale):
al-990fs.jpg
al-2816fs.jpg

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread will now also turn into in easy referecne wish list for 3 shoes for said budget.

Also, I need better friends.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came up with this idea of buying several pairs of one shoe. I call it oneshoe. 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in black calf for all occasions!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I would find out exactly what type of feet my friend has and if he has any foot issues. You'd be surprised at the amount of people with jacked up feet.

Then I would blow the whole budget on 1 or 2 pairs of shoes.

mrmax

Reaction score
can you rephrase this question in the form of a snarky image?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be monitoring this thread closely.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pick something along these lines, though if I were shopping for myself, I'd be a bit more of a bargain hunter.
f4l2sp.png
2wmjbrr.png
21ajup0.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads