1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mr. Porter

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CaymanS, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Also doesn't seem to be in the UK, even for founding members.

Same in Ireland. Founding member, no email.

2. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

There is no "sale section" on the site for the Founding Members sale. I was confused, too, but it basically implies everything on the site is 50% off EXCEPT items marked as "new season" or "wardrobe staple." None of the John Lobbs were marked as either as far as I can recall, but most if not all the sunglasses are marked as "wardrobe staple." Nonetheless, you have to be signed in under your login and then place the item in your cart...go to checkout and then you will see the 50% discount. I hope that clears it up for some of you who want in on the sale...

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Legal Disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with, investment in, or relation to Mr. Porter or any of its principals, agents, employees, managers or directors, as applicable.

Yous a loier or what?

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

Incotex cargo pants for $400?!

[​IMG]

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this is an amazing sale but I must admit I am glad I dont have access to it. Knowing me, I would probably order 2 more pairs of JLs [​IMG]

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I picked up a couple of RL shirts and the Drakes raw silk tie.

7. Plusfours

Plusfours Member

wtf, this is annoying. I wonder why UK founders were not invited to the sale. I had my eye on a few items

8. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

Just a wild guess, but maybe UK buyers are actually buying at retail whereas the US customers haven't been buying?

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

LOL, 20 GBP to ship one tie, untracked to Australia.

I think not, assholes.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yeah, waiting for the next "free worldwide shipping" offer.......

11. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

If anyone is willing to proxy for me shoot me a pm please.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Spent an hour digging around their items. There really isn't all that much I really want, thank fully. I may pick up an APC t-shirt if anything.

13. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

If anyone is kind enough to proxy, please PM me.

Thanks,

14. miran

miran Senior member

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

I've been following Mr Porter for a while now. The initial selection of designers piqued my interest immediately. Many of my favorites--which I've been secretly indulging in for the past 3-4 years with the full knowledge that they are niche and unknown to fashionistas and nouveau riche alike--were on there.

Some of their outfit combinations and the looks they put together are superb. Some looks are classic. Many of the 60s mod looks are back in vogue now, thanks to eg. Mad Men. Some of the other looks are cutting edge eg. Mens shoes by Jimmy Choo.

I really like their advertising style too.

Some of the looks are a bit too out there for me, which is always why I am hesitant with these kinds of attempts. Do you really want to look like the Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII), if you are in your 30s? There is a thin line between that kind of stuff and costumery, this day in age...

Anyone else have any opinions or experiences with Mr Porter?

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm pretty sure that I tweeted that Mr. Porter is full of clothes that I will (and do) buy, but that generally fail to excite me. I'm glad it's there, though, and maybe I'm just overly jaded.

I'm curious about what brands are niche and not well known, though. I think that the only 2 brands that I haven't heard of there were Cherchbi and Chucs. Everything else is pretty well established (From Edward Green to Margiela to Zimmerli) or a brand-de-jour (Kitsune, Sunspel, S.N.S. Herning)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  16. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

It's a good shop with excellent brands, although I had an issue with shipping that took two phone calls and a few emails to a several different employees to sort out. International customers should note that duties and taxes are paid up front, which increases the cost of most items by 25-30% for Canadians (there are however no surprises on delivery). The packaging was pretty excessive - an order for 2 ties came with 3 boxes and 2 bags.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  17. comrade

comrade Senior member

Trendy and overpriced. Perfect for trend-followers who do not have access to this
    type of merchandise in their locales.

18. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I went to their website. Most of their good staffs are out of my price range .But I must admit they have good staffs in the store. I love the RL croc skin penny loafers at $2k+.:embar:

19. miran

miran Senior member

Hahaha, well guilty as charged for the trendy part, in my case. But I would say they also have some of the classic brands.

In terms of not having access--I live in Canada, and sometimes I feel this place is a desert when it comes to fashion. Ship me off to New York anyday.

20. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

As someone who hates going shopping and has little time to do so, I appreciate a site like mr porter despite having access to good shops (which are, incidentally, almost always more expensive anyway).