• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned vs. STP for first (interview) suit

growing

Reaction score
hello,

I am currently graduating from college in nyc and plan to pick up a suit for interviews (most likely in the financial services/consulting sector). I was wondering if it would be better to pick up a suit from STP or getting an MTM-esque one from Mr. Ned. I'm looking for a 38S in OTR suits, so this may factor into the decision as well. I see the relative advantages as follows:

Mr. Ned
Better fit
Can customize (although I don't think I'm going to depart too much from the house style since I wouldn't know what I'm doing)

STP
likely cheaper
possibly better construction for given price level
won't be difficult to find a charcoal/navy suit

Of course, any other considerations would be greatly appreciated.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend?

What industry will you be interviewing in?

Any suit style preference (american, italian, english)

growing

Reaction score
I am looking to spend about $800-$1000, with a preference toward spending at the low end of the scale. I'm currently looking at interviewing at investment banks or consulting firms, so I obviously want something quite conservative.

As for suit style preference, I am biased against the American cut (which is what Nr. Ned does), but I think this bias is based on seeing a lot of sack suits.

pkincy

Reaction score
Your sizing is likely to be the deciding factor. Do try the Christmas sales but you probably are headed towards a MTM at 38S.

Perry

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Izzy is an option at your price-point.

growing

Reaction score
I finally decided to go and do some suit-shopping and found that I'm actually a 38R in most brands. I tried a HF (main-line, fully-canvassed), and while it does have good construction, I don't particularly like the cut of the suit. I liked the silo of a canali I tried better, but unfortunately my town (I won't be back in nyc until the MLK weekend) did not have anything in my size.

My question is, will there still be sales (and stuff in my size) by the time I get back to nyc? I'm really not feeling the american cut and I'm not ambitious enough to deviate from Mr. Ned's house style (and risk getting something unwearable), so I guess I'm leaning toward something OTR. Is there anyplace I should look in particular? Wait for the Barney's Warehouse sale? Should I try anything online (although I'd rather spend a bit more money and get my size right in a B&M store first before spending it online)? Any other advice?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter sales continue through January.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Irrespective of the best value for money on this suit, a relationship with Mr. Ned or someone like him (St Laurie?) may be a good long-term investment.

Speaking as someone who doesn't easily fit into a standard OTR suit, the best part about having a pattern with a tailor is being able to pick up the phone and know that I will have a suit I like at some point in the future.

Getting lucky with a department store (or thrift shop) may net a fine suit now, but that's not always a repeatable strategy. When time gets tight on your fabulous investment banking job, you'll appreciate not having to shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads