• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned vs. Brooklyn Tailors

Mister F

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a custom suit, and after a great deal of research, I have narrowed it down to these to places. Mr. Ned is the darling of Style Forum (at least for an approximately $1000 suit), so he was my top choice, but then I came across this place Brooklyn Tailors, which I've never really even heard mentioned here.

I need a very modern suit. Trim all around, high arm holes, narrow-ish lapels, working buttonholes on the sleeves. You know the look... I often work with celebrities, so I need to try to fit in. I am starting to think that Brooklyn Tailors may be able to better give me what I need. What do you all think?

If nothing else, I have noticed that Mr. Ned photos are very difficult to come by, so let this serve as a compilation of what I could find. Apologies in advance if you see your photo posted. I got some of them from Style Forum.

Photos from both places are below. Please let me know what you think. Obviously the sleeves, pants, and jacket are a bit short in some of the Brooklyn Tailors photos, but that's not a tremendously difficult fix.

Mr. Ned http://mrnednyc.com/

Brooklyn Tailors coming in the next post...

Mister F

Reaction score
Edit: See below for more photos.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I were you I would go to Mr. Ned over Brooklyn Tailors. Brooklyn Tailors is probably a MTM that sends things to Martin Greenfield.

Mister F

Reaction score
If I were you I would go to Mr. Ned over Brooklyn Tailors. Brooklyn Tailors is probably a MTM that sends things to Martin Greenfield.

For what it's worth, the website claims to be completely bespoke.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These BB guys started less than a year ago; Mr. Ned is your man. Hands down. He can even give you that skinny, narrow, slim look that you will not be wearing in two years time.

Mister F

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I happen to think the Brooklyn Tailors suits look pretty good. No? I see your reservations about them being bespoke, though.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a suit in New York at about $1000, give or take a couple hundred, I'd love to hear them.

These BB guys started less than a year ago; Mr. Ned is your man. Hands down. He can even give you that skinny, narrow, slim look that you will not be wearing in two years time.

Can Mr. Ned do the skinny look? I haven't seen any photos of him doing that, and a lot of people say it takes two or three suits before he even gets the more conservative look down. I obviously don't want to end up with a poorly fitting suit, and I'm afraid of ending up with that, since this style isn't Mr. Ned's specialty.

And yes, I see your point about not wearing it in two years. Unfortunately, I need to wear it now. I go to events with celebrities and often need to fit in with them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks everyone!  I happen to think the Brooklyn Tailors suits look pretty good.  No?  I see your reservations about them being bespoke, though.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a suit in New York at about $1000, give or take a couple hundred, I'd love to hear them.

Can Mr. Ned do the skinny look?  I haven't seen any photos of him doing that, and a lot of people say it takes two or three suits before he even gets the more conservative look down.  I obviously don't want to end up with a poorly fitting suit, and I'm afraid of ending up with that, since this style isn't Mr. Ned's specialty.

And yes, I see your point about not wearing it in two years.  Unfortunately, I need to wear it now.  I go to events with celebrities and often need to fit in with them.

I don't think the BT suits look very good. I don't want to open up a proper fit discussion right now, but skinny has nothing to do with proper fit, which these suits don't have. If you want to be measured by a hipster stylist to have your measurements sent off to a far away land to get made then go for it. If you want a suit made with somebody with decades of experience that knows how things should fit and you get to talk to her person cutting the fabric then go to Mr. Ned. All in all skinny is easy. These are the two cheapest options in NYC, fwiw. Cheapest by a lot.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know both companies very well
BT makes their suits in a country far far away. nice people. if the look is what you want, then use them, since that is what they do best.

Bespoke is a useless term.

Varm at Mr. Ned can make you a shrunken suit, but needs to be prodded into it.
you would also be best to bring photos of what you are looking for.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

* * * Can Mr. Ned do the skinny look?  I haven't seen any photos of him doing that, and a lot of people say it takes two or three suits before he even gets the more conservative look down.  I obviously don't want to end up with a poorly fitting suit, and I'm afraid of ending up with that, since this style isn't Mr. Ned's specialty.

And yes, I see your point about not wearing it in two years.  Unfortunately, I need to wear it now.  I go to events with celebrities and often need to fit in with them.

I don't think the BT suits look very good. I don't want to open up a proper fit discussion right now, but skinny has nothing to do with proper fit, which these suits don't have. If you want to be measured by a hipster stylist to have your measurements sent off to a far away land to get made then go for it. If you want a suit made with somebody with decades of experience that knows how things should fit and you get to talk to her person cutting the fabric then go to Mr. Ned. All in all skinny is easy. These are the two cheapest options in NYC, fwiw. Cheapest by a lot.

I know both companies very well
BT makes their suits in a country far far away. nice people. if the look is what you want, then use them, since that is what they do best.
Bespoke is a useless term.
Varm at Mr. Ned can make you a shrunken suit, but needs to be prodded into it.
you would also be best to bring photos of what you are looking for.

I think that the BT suits looks horrible. Too short, too tight. But, if this is the look that you want, go there. It makes no sense going to another tailor and asking him to duplicate another look. Most tailors would refuse.

On the other hand, if you want a suit that fits, go to Mr. Ned.

Good luck.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think the BT suits look very good. ....proper fit, which these suits don't have. ....

+1; they just don't fit well.

Can Mr. Ned do the skinny look? I haven't seen any photos of him doing that, and a lot of people say it takes two or three suits before he even gets the more conservative look down. I obviously don't want to end up with a poorly fitting suit, and I'm afraid of ending up with that, since this style isn't Mr. Ned's specialty....

You raise a good point; I don't think he will be happy to make you a suit like that, but whatever he ends up making, it will presumably fit better than what you get from BT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics