1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mr. Ned vs. Brooklyn Tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mister F, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

I think this has already been answered. If the skin-tight, ultra-short silhouette is what you want, then BT is a good option. Also Thick as Thieves in LA, if you could fly out there for a measurement.

If you want a suit that you won't be embarrassed about seeing in photos in 10 years, then go to Mr. Ned.

2. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Thanks guys. I'm sure you can see my reservations. I need to try to fit in with guys like Ryan Gosling and other celebrities wearing skin tight, GQ stuff and I am afraid of laying down $1000 and not getting what I need. However, you guys have given me confidence in Mr. Ned.

I appreciate all of your help.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Put it this way, if you go to Mr. Ned you will most likely look better than Ryan Gosling and your GQ crew. Just don't micromanage too much.

4. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

So you would advise going to Mr. Ned and letting him do his thing without asking him to do the extraordinarily trim look? I only ask because I would assume that if I asked for that, it would still come out not nearly as trim as the skintight suits I posted.

5. patrickBOOTH

6. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

Take some pictures to Mr. Ned, have a chat, go from there.

7. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Fashion suits are just make for the look rather than quality. Have you spoken to Mr. Ned to see if they can accommodate you requests?

Edit: Why not try Ovadia & Sons? I don't know about their pricing but the quality is there.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  8. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna look into Ovadia & Sons.

I appreciate all of your help.

9. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nope, made in Nepal. Danny the co owner is my former intern from Duncan Quinn. I wish him the best of luck with his business though, its tough out there, and if he wants to make a living following his dream good for him. I think he's really taking liberties with the bespoke label though!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Do it. I've heard their pricey as hell, though don't hold me to it.

In other news, I actually like Brooklyn Tailor's overall aesthetic -- but their shit is too short, and a little hipster.

11. Threadhead

Threadhead Well-Known Member

He isn't the only one taking liberties with the bespoke thing.....

12. David Reeves

Threadhead Im putting this to bed now. David Reeves the company makes suits. Three different kinds. MTM made in England starting at $1500 custom starting at $2500 made by Primo coat in Queens (although an individual pattern is made so you could class it as bespoke) and Bespoke starting at $4000 made locally by former savile row tailors and cutters. When we max capacity we outsource to Savile Row. I don't think I can be any more open or authentic than that. If you like though you or anybody can meet our cutters and tailors or you could talk to a client or just look at a suit we make.

Here is one of our bespoke suits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to get these in higher res.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Ned's can do a trim suit, no problem. If you want them to do a suit that doesn't fit properly because it is too small / too short, then you will have issues. Also, if you are requesting something that he advises against, he will still probably do the suit, just don't expect him to be happy about it.

14. patrickBOOTH

Well there you have it, save a couple bucks and go to David.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Are there any pics of a trim suit made by Ned?

16. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I see what you did there ;)

That is all fine, but wishing a former colleague well and then putting down his outfit in the same post seems a bit disingenuous, to say the least.

17. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Google "Wes Anderson"? All of them look at least fairly trim. Certainly in line with the current fashion for short.

I rather like the 6x3 Ned's made for Royal Tenenbaum. You don't see many horizontal peak lapels these days.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  18. David Reeves

I'm sure he wouldn't mind, I think it depends on the context and the relationship. You could define what he does as a bespoke suit if you wanted to. It's a vague and subjective term. I don't need to put down other people in the trade, especially my friends it's not in my character.

19. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I understand what you mean, but for most people here, including myself, who do not know you or him, such statements can easily be interpreted differently and have a negative impact on his business.

20. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Yeah, I'm looking at some stuff and having trouble finding prices for bespoke, but I'm getting the impression it's gonna run into the multiple thousands.

And yes, if I went with Brooklyn Tailors I would emphasize emphatically that my pants better reach my shoes, my sleeves better reach my wrists and my jacket better reach below my ass.