1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mr. Ned vs. Brooklyn Tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mister F, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

I'm in the market for a custom suit, and after a great deal of research, I have narrowed it down to these to places. Mr. Ned is the darling of Style Forum (at least for an approximately $1000 suit), so he was my top choice, but then I came across this place Brooklyn Tailors, which I've never really even heard mentioned here.

I need a very modern suit. Trim all around, high arm holes, narrow-ish lapels, working buttonholes on the sleeves. You know the look... I often work with celebrities, so I need to try to fit in. I am starting to think that Brooklyn Tailors may be able to better give me what I need. What do you all think?

If nothing else, I have noticed that Mr. Ned photos are very difficult to come by, so let this serve as a compilation of what I could find. Apologies in advance if you see your photo posted. I got some of them from Style Forum.

Photos from both places are below. Please let me know what you think. Obviously the sleeves, pants, and jacket are a bit short in some of the Brooklyn Tailors photos, but that's not a tremendously difficult fix.

Mr. Ned http://mrnednyc.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooklyn Tailors coming in the next post...

2. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Brooklyn Tailors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Edit: See below for more photos.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I were you I would go to Mr. Ned over Brooklyn Tailors. Brooklyn Tailors is probably a MTM that sends things to Martin Greenfield.

6. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

For what it's worth, the website claims to be completely bespoke.

7. patrickBOOTH

I highly doubt it.

8. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

:nodding: MTM at best, shoddy suits for hipsters at worst.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

These BB guys started less than a year ago; Mr. Ned is your man. Hands down. He can even give you that skinny, narrow, slim look that you will not be wearing in two years time.

10. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Thanks everyone! I happen to think the Brooklyn Tailors suits look pretty good. No? I see your reservations about them being bespoke, though.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a suit in New York at about $1000, give or take a couple hundred, I'd love to hear them.

Can Mr. Ned do the skinny look? I haven't seen any photos of him doing that, and a lot of people say it takes two or three suits before he even gets the more conservative look down. I obviously don't want to end up with a poorly fitting suit, and I'm afraid of ending up with that, since this style isn't Mr. Ned's specialty.

And yes, I see your point about not wearing it in two years. Unfortunately, I need to wear it now. I go to events with celebrities and often need to fit in with them.

11. patrickBOOTH

I don't think the BT suits look very good. I don't want to open up a proper fit discussion right now, but skinny has nothing to do with proper fit, which these suits don't have. If you want to be measured by a hipster stylist to have your measurements sent off to a far away land to get made then go for it. If you want a suit made with somebody with decades of experience that knows how things should fit and you get to talk to her person cutting the fabric then go to Mr. Ned. All in all skinny is easy. These are the two cheapest options in NYC, fwiw. Cheapest by a lot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know both companies very well
    BT makes their suits in a country far far away. nice people. if the look is what you want, then use them, since that is what they do best.

Bespoke is a useless term.

Varm at Mr. Ned can make you a shrunken suit, but needs to be prodded into it.
    you would also be best to bring photos of what you are looking for.

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I think that the BT suits looks horrible. Too short, too tight. But, if this is the look that you want, go there. It makes no sense going to another tailor and asking him to duplicate another look. Most tailors would refuse.

On the other hand, if you want a suit that fits, go to Mr. Ned.

Good luck.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+1; they just don't fit well.

You raise a good point; I don't think he will be happy to make you a suit like that, but whatever he ends up making, it will presumably fit better than what you get from BT.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Just to clarify, this is me c. fall 2007 and it is not a Mr. Ned suit. It's a RTW from Pal Zileri Sartoriale.
    Damn, Jason Marshall dapper as ever.

16. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Sounds like you guys are making the decision fairly easy for me. I am still a bit hesitant going to Mr. Ned for a trim suit, since I have never seen him do it, but if you guys all have confidence in him, then who am I to judge?

Thank you very much for the input. Looks like I'll do some prodding. I'll bring some photos and hopefully get what I am hoping for.

That's the problem. I personally want a Mr. Ned suit, which would fit. However, I need a skinny suit for work to fit in with all the celebrities that dress like schmucks at events I go to. If I have to look like a schmuck, then so be it, I guess.

Indeed, indeed.

My apologies. I found it posted on another site listed as a Mr. Ned suit. Whatever it is, I like it.

Thank you everyone for your help so far!

17. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

You have to decide what it is that you want. If you want a suit like the BT ones pictured, go there. Those are skintight and ultra-short. I have no idea why you would want one: they look uncomfortable as hell and just terrible aesthetically. Mr. Ned is not a good bet for those.

If you want the trim, narrow lapel, high gorge, suppressed waist, high waist button, narrow shoulder, trim pants, slightly short jacket silhouette that is currently pushed by places like Brooks Brothers or Paul Stuart, then Vahram can do that for you, no problem.

The first silhouette is an extreme exaggeration of the second. The first won't be wearable when the fashionable silhouette changes; the second will.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

19. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Thank you again.

Here's a new(ish) question for you. I hope I'm not beating any horses.

As far as skintight suits (that we all seem to agree look at least moderately foolish) go, does Brooklyn Tailors' work look good? I know it's difficult to say it looks good because we all think a different style looks better, but for what it is, do you think Brooklyn Tailors does a good job?

20. patrickBOOTH

Like I said, aside of stylistic opinions, they don't fit properly. The neck and shoulders are tell-tale. Also, why would you want to get measured by a retail employee, or retail shop owner to have your suit made by somebody in India?