• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned Style?

Lowndes

Reaction score
I have been doing my research on various tailors and am intrigued by Mr. Neds. However, after searching StyleForum and AAAC I have a question.

Are they getting more capable at doing something that isn't a traditional American cut. My research led me to believe that the Father wasn't very good at listening to the customers instructions and really did everything in an American cut. The son who is running the shop though is very good at giving the customer what they want. Is that an accurate statement? For instance, I am looking for a suit that has light shoulder padding and a decent amount of waist suppression. Is this something that Neds would be able to deliver now that the son is in charge?

Thanks for the help.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
surprised your search did not uncover this thread;

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=160409

I found that thread but it didn't really answer the question concerning Mr. Neds capability to do the suit in the style I mentioned above. Emailed Mr. Neds and of course they said they could but am wondering if any forum members have had success getting something that isn't in the traditional American boxy cut.

Thanks for the link though.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
seems like two people answered what you are asking

Originally Posted by Lowndes
For instance, I am looking for a suit that has light shoulder padding and a decent amount of waist suppression. Is this something that Neds would be able to deliver now that the son is in charge?

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Politely
Again, as an example, I asked for less shoulder padding than his standard (and he showed me samples and I picked one), but it was only after I got to wear the first suit that I figured that I wanted even less padding for the second. I think you can ask for and get the details you want, but you may change your mind after getting it.

Finally, I said that the first suit was OK - but it's actually better than that. It fits much better than any OTR suit I have, it's just not as good as the second suit.

Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
i have been going to mr ned alot lately (3 suits and 2 jackets) and im very happy with the work done there. all with 2-3 fittings. varham is a straight shooter. he has been able to do EVERYTHING I've asked him to do like small, high armhole, moderate skirt flair, roped shoulder, wide peak lapel, surgeon cuffs, etc.

_JAY4612.jpg

Lowndes

Reaction score
Edmorel,

Thanks I missed that. Appreciate it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics