• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned Experience

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I stopped by Mr. Ned's for a suit on Tuesday, I thought I'd share my experience with you guys.

Nurem, Mr Ned's son apparently, was a very nice guy. I wanted a summer-weight suit for some weddings this summer. He pointed me to an 8.5 oz, Super 120s that felt a bit heavy to me. He showed me some 7 oz fabrics as well, but recommended the former: he said that neither will be super cool, and I'd get much use out of the 8.5 oz. I took his advice.

He immediately pointed out the hand stitched lapels and canvassed construction on my Chan and complimented it. He also pointed out that the high button stance two button I was wearing may not be the best cut for me and my wide shoulders (euphemism for short and stout). I appreciated his advice - it's why I go to tailors.

He's rushing it for me - under 4 weeks. Going back for my second fitting on Saturday. I'll bring my camera.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. May I ask why you decided to try Mr. Ned? I've been pretty happy with WW Chan myself and while there's certainly advantages to a local tailor, I don't know if I want to go through the whole getting-it-right process again.

dan

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neat, very interested to hear how this experience compares.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
A few people have asked about Mr. Ned's pricing. It's been mentioned before but here it is again:

For fabric he has in house (the 8.5 oz Super 120s, wide selection of colors and patterns) runs 800 dollars. He charges another $25 for hand stitched lapels and $35 for working button holes (it might be the other way around, I don't remember - I got both).

Total: $860

Now, if you want him to order fabric - he has a lot of swatches - it's an additional $300, bringing the total to $1,160. A significant increase, and not worth it until I see what kind of suit he puts out.

dan, to answer your question, I am simply trying him out. I too am very happy with my Chan suits, but I thought I'd try a different cut. I didn't want to wait until Chan comes back and then another 5 months. And, I think the advantages to a local tailor are big: even with minor tweaks to my pattern, Chan isn't around to test it out to see how it looks. I'll be able to look in a mirror while my suit is being constructed and point out every wrinkle or pull and have it fixed - can't do that with Chan. My shape changes, so should my suits.

lichmd

Reaction score
I've used Ned's for a couple of years now.
Very good deal for the price.
Varham (Ned's son) runs the business pretty much fulltime now, Daddy Ned comes in a few days a week.
He has a fairly extensive collection of fabric on hand, Scabal, LP, Barberis, to name a few, as well as linens, seersucker. By the third suit we had a fairly good fit going and they are very easy to work with.
I'll be interested to see fit pics when you get your suit.
Cheers,
J

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lichmd
I'll be interested to see fit pics when you get your suit.
Cheers,
J

Hopefully he's received it 4 years later...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. damn, talk about digging a thread from the grave.

lichmd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Hopefully he's received it 4 years later...
It could happen. Haven't you had a garment that took a while to get right? What's the point of sharing a story with no pics anyway

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Is Mr Ned MTM or bespoke? (I know the answer is somewhere. I am just being lazy.)

Thanks!

Based on all that I read he's MTM but you get a few fittings which many believe is closer to bespoke. But he's not creating a new pattern for you so I say it's MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads