• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned Custom Tailor NYC

vc2000

Reaction score
What is the time range to get a suit from Mr. Ned? I noted that there are three fittings - are these weeks or months apart? From start to finish what is the completion time?

DandySF

Reaction score
I called Mr. Ned earlier this morning, thinking I could squeeze in a visit before heading to the airport.  I ran out of time and couldn't go, but I did learn over the phone that a two piece suit starts at around $800.  There is the initial measuring, then the basting phase, another fitting, and then the final adjustments.  It sounded like it could be done in 4-6 weeks.

Given that my sport jacket from Chan cost $750 and took 2.5 months to arrive, I'm left to wonder whether Mr. Ned might be a better option.  Chan only took measurements when I met with them in San Francisco--no additional fittings.  It's something of an act of faith in ordering from Chan.  Fortunately, I am delighted with the jacket, but not quite brave enough to post a picture for general scrutiny and comment on this site.  There is certainly a convenience in having Chan come here, rather than my making multiple trips across the country for Mr. Ned.  Nonetheless, I'm curious about Mr. Ned and look forward to dropping in there next month for a quick look.

montmorency

Reaction score
Any phone number?  Do you know hours of operation?

The phone number is 212-924-5042.  I don't know their hours of operation during the week.  They are open from about 9 - 3 on Saturdays.

mikeber

Reaction score
Yesterday, I payed Mr. Ned a visit. The prices mentioned above are true indeed. However, you must select a fabric from their in stock bolts, many of which are nameless, while others collecting dust on the shelves for ages. For a premium price one can choose Scabal or Piana 120 fabrics from their books. This also extends the time for the finished garment.
But the problem was the owner (the father) who talks excessively and gives non stop stand up shows to potential customers. Needless to say that he answered all my questions (even before I had the chance to finish them) with "we can do everything, anything, all you ask". Such answers of caurse did not provide the info I was looking for. He also repeated several times that in this season (btw, what season is it?) they are very very busy...

lisapop

Reaction score
Sounds like Mr. Ned is a real cut up.
Grayson

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday, I payed Mr. Ned a visit. The prices mentioned above are  true indeed. However, you must select a fabric from their in stock bolts, many of which are nameless, while others collecting dust on the shelves for ages. For a premium price one can choose Scabal or Piana 120 fabrics from their books. This also extends the time for the finished garment.
But the problem was the owner (the father) who talks excessively and gives non stop stand up shows to potential customers. Needless to say that he answered all my questions (even before I had the chance to finish them) with "we can do everything, anything, all you ask". Such answers of caurse did not provide the info I was looking for. He also repeated several times that in this season (btw, what season is it?) they are very very busy...
And of this mysterious $400 or $500 linen suit? Was $800 the flat base? That amount for a linen, or cotton suit, would be worth it in my mind.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Yesterday, I payed Mr. Ned a visit. The prices mentioned above are  true indeed. However, you must select a fabric from their in stock bolts, many of which are nameless, while others collecting dust on the shelves for ages. For a premium price one can choose Scabal or Piana 120 fabrics from their books. This also extends the time for the finished garment.
What were there fabrics like? Also, what is the incremental cost of going with LP or Scabal?

Panzer

mikeber

Reaction score
On my way out, I spoke with 2 customers and they both agreed that for the price, Mr. Ned is a real deal.
As I said, the fabrics in stock are a mix. Simple cottons, poly wool mixes, beside 100 - 120 worsted no name bolts (superior English woolens). I did not take a deeper look though. Would not be surprised to find some real bargains among the dusty bolts.
If you select fabrics from the LP and Scabal books, prices jump to the $1300-1400 range for super 120. I did not inquire for the more exotic cashmeres. Even at this price Mr. Ned is hard to bit.
Slacks are more attractive. $150 for polyesters and $250 for super 100 wools. That's cheap.
The question is if you want to deal with Mr. Ned (We do it all, anything you ask, everything you say, etc, ect). Though I heard that the sons are easier to deal with...

pgoat

Reaction score
Just to revive for anyone else looking into it, I stopped there today and really got a good vibe. No sherry decanters or vivaldi on the hi-fi but it was clean well lit no BS, which is my Kind of place.

The man I spoke with (not sure if he was THE Ned or a son - about 55ish, tall gray hair), was very nice; no nonsense, answered all my questions and showed me fabrics even though I made it clear I was just fishing for now.

I will very likely be going there soon for a charcoal suit, no extra doo-dads, just 120s and few hints of brit styling (side vents, nipped waist, etc) - $800 (extra pants - $250)

I don't expect it will be perfect, or Saville Row quality but I think if it is as good as my otr Oxxfords or BB Golden Fleece with better fit I'll be a happy camper.

pgoat

Reaction score
Haha! Perhaps I am always kind to others in subconcious hopes they will be as kind to me - happens as we age.....

he looked good for his age if over 60. he definitely had that 'we can do anything' attitude but I expected much worse from reading this thread. I hate super pushy dismissive salespeople and I didn't get that vibe from him.

pgoat

Reaction score
quick update:

I got my charcoal 2B a few weeks ago from Ned's. There was a little mixup on the final delivery (sleeve buttons weren't functional, though it was on the work order), which set me back a few weeks, but the final product was quite good in terms of fit. I must have caught them at a busy time because the service -which had been very very good through the measurements and first two fittings - was a bit off for pickup (it was really busy there towards the end).

Anyway, I also had a Greenfield-measured BB suit done and just tried that one on today (MTM, no basted fitting, just some final tweaks such as sleeve and trouser length).

My verdict? the overall construction of the BB suit looks a bit more solid to me on a quick glance, but Ned's fit wins hands down. Their jacket made me look GOOD! The Brooks jacket is nice and roomy but I didn't see that much difference from OTR in all honesty.....they are nipping the waist for me so we'll see if that helps.

The Ned pants were also quite slimmiing , though I may get the waist nipped a bit (my fault as I am trying to lose the spare tire). The BB pants are more comfy in the seat (no surprise) but also a bit looser all the way down. The NED suit is definitley a trimmer slimmer look.

I am actually getting a second pr of pants made from Ned, not only for the charcoal suit they made me, but in the matching fabric for the BB suit! So I am happy with them for the money as of now. We'll see how their suit holds up over interviews and a year of work before I go back for more.

I really wanted to get a Logsdail suit but the price is beyond me at present. I basically got the two suits and 2 extra pants for less than one Logsdail MTM suit. Though I reckon that one would have looked and fit quite nicely indeed......

BUt if the BB is true MTM then I'd say Ned's is 'custom' enough for me. The fit is the best I've had yet and quite good for the money imho.....

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
I am actually getting a second pr of pants made from Ned, not only for the charcoal suit they made me, but in the matching fabric for the BB suit!
They have the same fabric as BB used? That's handy.

They sound like nice garments--congratulations!

pgoat

Reaction score
Thanks Alan; I will try and post a pic or two soon for those interested. I am of the short/stocky/stubby variety and the Ned suit (imo) helps elongate considerably especially in comparison to most OTR.

Based on my experiences so far I would say if you've been struggling with fit, check them out, especially if you are in or near NYC. I'd like to try a Chan but the local address is working for me.

The base fabrics will get you hooked up for $650......I went 120s as this was for an interview suit I plan to baby for a few years but seeing how well they fit me, I'd have gotten a beater suit or two at that price and called it an excellent bargain. After I work whatever fit tweaks are required with ths one (and lose the rest of this excess weight!!) I'd also spring for a new Ned suit or two in better fabrics, for sure.

The biggest difference in the two suits was the jacket - the Ned just fit much closer, but still very comfy. I typically have to buy a 44 or 45 (when available) OTR to lose that loose sloppy look, though I am really more a 46 in terms of shoulder width and chest. I will say the pants though more slimming were less comfy than the Brooks, which look a hair baggier but between the cut and the nicer fabric (Super 150s with some cashmere) they are supremely comfy, at least in the dressing room!

Re the fabric (I believe it was a Gladstone) - They were able to get it as it was recent, but Vahram told me in time it may be harder to match (I may get 2 vests made from Ned's as well in the fall, as I got suspender buttons and prefer to hide the braces when possible - but I am waiting to get the full Brooks suit so they can match up the buttons of the jacket)

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
Thanks Alan; I will try and post a pic or two soon for those interested. I am of the short/stocky/stubby variety and the Ned suit (imo) helps elongate considerably especially in comparison to most OTR.

Based on my experiences so far I would say if you've been struggling with fit, check them out, especially if you are in or near NYC. I'd like to try a Chan but the local address is working for me.

The base fabrics will get you hooked up for $650......I went 120s as this was for an interview suit I plan to baby for a few years but seeing how well they fit me, I'd have gotten a beater suit or two at that price and called it an excellent bargain. After I work whatever fit tweaks are required with ths one (and lose the rest of this excess weight!!) I'd also spring for a new Ned suit or two in better fabrics, for sure.

The biggest difference in the two suits was the jacket - the Ned just fit much closer, but still very comfy. I typically have to buy a 44 or 45 (when available) OTR to lose that loose sloppy look, though I am really more a 46 in terms of shoulder width and chest. I will say the pants though more slimming were less comfy than the Brooks, which look a hair baggier but between the cut and the nicer fabric (Super 150s with some cashmere) they are supremely comfy, at least in the dressing room!

Re the fabric (I believe it was a Gladstone) - They were able to get it as it was recent, but Vahram told me in time it may be harder to match (I may get 2 vests made from Ned's as well in the fall, as I got suspender buttons and prefer to hide the braces when possible - but I am waiting to get the full Brooks suit so they can match up the buttons of the jacket)

pgoat,

Could you post some pics of your Mr. Ned suit? I'm thinking of having one made and I'd love to see one on a person.

Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads