Mr Manton on presidential style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sloaney, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Some kind of tryst involving Her Royal Majesty, Thatcher, and the president?

I'm sitting here, eating my roat beef and swiss on wheat (with LOTS of horseradish), and I'm thinking: How can I poke out my mind's eye?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

"Show auld Bess how you do it in Washington, Ronnie...oooh, that's the ticket..."

Oh, god. [​IMG]

Jon.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

metaphysician & connemara: SHAME ON YOU *tries desperately to induce vomiting at a scene that would best be described as flesh coloured wrinkled potato bags wobbling around each other* [​IMG]

4. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

The Constitution expressly forbids Americans from accepting titles of nonbility from foreign powers. As a committed republican, I would never dream of violating that prohibition.

I think it is selling OK. Not gangbusters, but selling. But honestly, I don't really know.

Are you certain? Several Americans are Knights of the British Empire. Being a KBE doesn't allow you to be called sir (I think you need to be from the Commonwealth for that), but I know they have been bestowed.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Are you certain? Several Americans are Knights of the British Empire. Being a KBE doesn't allow you to be called sir (I think you need to be from the Commonwealth for that), but I know they have been bestowed.

Bill Gates has one.

Jon.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I believe they are all "honorary" which means that they get to go to the ceremony, see the queen, and accept the medal, but they aren't officially on the books as knights. It's like getting an honorary degree from Harvard. Nice, but if you put it on your resume, and some HR guy calls the registrar, he will be told that you never attended.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Whether it's constitutional or not, no self-respecting American would accept a title of nobility from the British Queen, honorary or otherwise.

8. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

Whether it's constitutional or not, no self-respecting American would accept a title of nobility from the British Queen, honorary or otherwise.

This is ridiculous. I believe that Churchill was honoured with the Congressional Medal of Honour (or was it the Medal of Freedom? One of the two). Should he have rejected it?

The highest gong bestowed upon non-Commonwealth nationals is the Knight of the British Empire. I believe that Manton is correct that it does not permit you to actually be called "Sir". However the Consitution prohibits only persons "holding any Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States]" from accepting presents, emoluments or titles from foreign powers without the consent of the Congress. Therefore, Manton could accept such an honour.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Michael Jackson sought a knighthood some years ago, for his work with children.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Therefore, Manton could accept such an honour.
    Then I suppose should this come up, I will have a lot to think about. Congress would probably not give me permission, however, given that I criticized them in the North Korea thread.

11. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

I thought he was just looking for another nifty piece of regalia to wear for his various court appearances.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

That's the spirit!

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Michael Jackson sought a knighthood some years ago, for his work with children.

HAHAHAHAHA. [​IMG]

Jon.

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

That's the spirit!
    Not until they say sorry for the War of 1812 and for Trinny and Tranny.

15. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

Then I suppose should this come up, I will have a lot to think about. Congress would probably not give me permission, however, given that I criticized them in the North Korea thread.

I don't think that working for Mr Murdoch places you in an "Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States]". Unless you're now confirming Frank Rich's conspiracy theories.