Mr. Hare Shoes

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Yardsale, May 17, 2009.

1. whacked

whacked Senior member

From a link about blake construction shoes. Well said about forums

Interesting analogy, but once the first impression fades away, it does not lead to the point he is making (or for that matter, what you seem to take away from it, chrono). First, the comparison is between a RTW coat and a bespoke item - obviously apple-to-orange. More importantly, at the end of the day, a Kiton jacket is still the best made RTW garment with most handwork(which MCgents lust after even moreso than quality/durability) outside of Oxxford and a handful of obscure Italian makers. The shoes equivalent of Kiton would be Edward Green/Lobbs/Vass, not blake-stitched shoes like Mr. Hare, or for that matter, MA+ or NDC.

2. delirium

delirium Senior member

the point isn't a direct comparison. rather there are other things that most people take into consideration than MCthink.

if you get a bespoke item in a style that is similar to a RTW one... the point still stands.

he was just saying that there are different times for different styles and different shoes.

MA+ and NDC aren't really good comparison anyways, but they're all different styles and not straight up comparable. unless we go by some idea of quality, measure of durability, of handiwork...
    MA+ single piece construction, CCP treatments and distressing... and other artisinal brands versus straight classically well-constructed stylings

3. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Interesting analogy, but once the first impression fades away, it does not lead to the point he is making (or for that matter, what you seem to take away from it, chrono). First, the comparison is between a RTW coat and a bespoke item - obviously apple-to-orange. More importantly, at the end of the day, a Kiton jacket is still the best made RTW garment with most handwork(which MCgents lust after even moreso than quality/durability) outside of Oxxford and a handful of obscure Italian makers. The shoes equivalent of Kiton would be Edward Green/Lobbs/Vass, not blake-stitched shoes like Mr. Hare, or for that matter, MA+ or NDC.

The examples were very secondary to the point, which is that on fashion forums there is too much emphasis on the longevity and durability of an item, leaving some beautiful items in the shadows as they don't meet the stringent standards of the forum.

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people who wear these items will take care of them and won't be putting them to the levels of stress and tension that might cause the item to break, so the issue of durability isn't so grand.

Even if the item is too frail that it will break within only a few years of wear or less, if it is a graile of yours it may be worth the purchase. Think of buying roses for a loved one, for that momentary beauty that makes the roses's short life irrelevant.

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

"The point", as far I'm concerned, is that the blog author imposes the notion that we must choose between quality (triple-sole goodyear-welted shoes) or style (some sleek blake-stitched number), without much ground in between. Except those are only extreme examples, and there is a huge grey area.

The fact that his very example, Kiton, clearly exhibits that's it's very possible (albeit at a princely sum) to achieve both only further contradicts what he's trying to say.

5. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

You can achieve both, but then you are restricting yourself to brands that have both, it's not contradictory because there are many brands that are beautiful without being very durable (and he is saying this is ok, which it is).

6. delirium

delirium Senior member

just an update
    the inventory will be out by mid august.
    retail will range around $450-795 (795 for the stingrays).
    no US stockists yet - maxfields maybe.

--and whacked, you're right. there's a place for a, b, and a&b...

7. Kent Money

Kent Money Senior member

I was actually about to make a thread about Mr. Hare but I found this. The shoes available at Oki-Ni are really, really nice. Like the slim profiles of his shoes. Hawt I would love to have these. [​IMG]

8. Listi

Listi Senior member

[​IMG] I'm rarely a fan of loafers but I would totally wear these. They're kinda feminine, but in a good way. I could see wearing them with some white shorts and a seersucker/gingham shirt or something, short sleeved of course. Loving this brand. These are awesome too: http://4m.scene7.com/is/image/4m/mrh...y%20Lee%20Shoe

9. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Time for a bump...

If they weren't so heavily overpriced ( just an assumption ) I'd definitely fall for some pairs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like I need to exercise patience and wait for a new Oki-Ni coupon... [​IMG]

10. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

anyone bought a pair of these? some of them on okini look delicious

11. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

I would have no hesitations if I was in a position.

12. simonjacob

simonjacob New Member

I purchased a pair of Mr hare shoes from their sample sale. After 2 weeks and three outings the sole started to split. Luckily I was in town at the time so I thought great I will pop into the mr hare shop

They snootily offered to repair the shoes for a small charge!! For shoes that originally cost £440! and were worn 3 times.

Shocking quality. Shocking service. I wont be troubling that brand again.....

13. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Which style did you have problems with?

I have half a dozen different Mr. Hares and never had a problem - the quality has always been top IMO.

14. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

15. Mailand

Mailand Well-Known Member

Here's my experience with a pair of Mr Hare Bernad Green shoes:

Bought them for about 250 Euros at official retailer last March (2014) on sale as brand new shoes with a box. No seconds, not factory damaged, not a display pair or anything similar, but a regular pair of new shoes. The main reasons for the purchase were the design, color and overall impression of the shoes/brand itself.

It was not long after the purchase that I started regretting getting them.

First major issue was the quality of the leather - even the slightest contact with any surface caused scuffs and marks. I'm not talking here about beating the shoes against the pavement, but literally any contact with a surface slightly harder then velvet. After a week, the shoes were looking as intentionally worn and beaten old shoes. This isn't a necessarily bad thing if that was the manufacturer's intent, which I doubt tbh. But nevertheless, leather is just too fragile, never came across anything similar until now.

Second major issue, somewhat linked to the first one, is the creasing - it's awful. I understand very well that leather must crease after some time, this is normal and to be expected after some time. What I didn't expect however is to end up with a pair of one week old shoes looking as they were bent repeatedly in and out of shape for a whole year. If you can justify scuffs and marks as vintage look, creasing just cannot be justified this way as it looks awful however you look at it.

Third major issue is the sole - it just fell apart after a month of usage. The layers started separating, heel and toes started wearing of as if they were made out of the butter etc. So much that I had to repair them myself as there was no service available from the store, and I didn't think they were valuable enough to pay a professional do it. Anyway, this helped with the layers separation issue, but not with the wearing off of the sole.

This pair of shoes was properly kept from the beginning, as were all my other shoes, including protective spray, wax, leather maintenance cream etc. These shoes were never worn in rain/snow, never saw running or any other intensive activity. I never drove in them or submitted them to anything more than a 15 minute walk to the office (and back). Never went to a club/party wearing them, or anywhere else where they could be damaged. Each time I took them off, shoe trees would be immediately placed so that they keep their form. I walk 'normally', no excessive wear of the soles on any of my other footwear.

After six months of moderate to light usage, these shoes look worse than a pair of my favorite shoes I purchased back in 2009 and which were worn in all kinds of situations and weather.

I definitely do not recommend this brand and will never buy it again. I would have even took this pair back, but couldn't since they were bought on sale.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014