1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mr B's Blake boots vs Grenson Sharp/Fred

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fromuio, Sep 20, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Are you in the UK?

Do you think we can call a UK store and get them sent here?

2. FashionMister

FashionMister Member

No, I am not in UK. I have a friend who lives in London. I doubt that they will ship since I called stores here in the U.S. to get by first pair and they would ship because they will not take payment over the phone. So I called my friend and he is shipping them. :) Once I get them I will do a review stating as such. Hopefully they will take it to heart and make them available in the U.S..

3. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

Picked these up in the cognac colour. Normally wear a size 43, but 42 in these boots fit well. I'm not a big fan of the antiquing, but at $175 (minus 10%), these are a good buy. Definitely nowhere near Trickers quality, but these seem to be good value for a 'knock around' boot.

I made the mistake of buying these early in the afternoon and had to walk around for a few hours with a large Aldo bag :embar:

4. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

Now that's funny! You didn't see anyone you know, did you?

I recently bought my wife a Louis Vuitton handbag for her birthday. I have never had such great service carrying that bag around. Sometimes, I think about just taking the bag and empty box and bringing it with me to the mall.

5. danilo

danilo Senior member

wow these look really nice... I may have to give them a try. IF I can find em

6. RoniJ

RoniJ New Member

7. FashionMister

FashionMister Member

My Navy and Grey just arrived. They look very nice and well done. I will post pictures soon.

8. Patek

Patek Senior member

9. FashionMister

FashionMister Member

10. danilo

danilo Senior member

After finding this thread and learning about these boots they seemed to fit all the criteria I wanted for some boots I could wear with jeans and dress up a little while still being relatively inexpensive.

Here's my pair of Mr. B in cognac, they also have a new burgundy color that looks really nice, it's not on the website yet though.

[​IMG]

11. Patek

Patek Senior member

Those navy are probably just a little too lound for me. How about the grey ones?

12. robe5k

robe5k New Member

I would LOVE to see these. I was about to buy the dark brown ones, but I might hold off until these become available. Where did you see them? Can you post a pic?

13. joshyle

joshyle Active Member

My boots arrived the other day from Aldo - 4 days from order to home - and I'm generally happy with them. A few concerns about detailing of the boots came up, and I'm looking for some guidance on my next course of action.

• The brogues are a bit sloppy - am I expecting too much to have them all clean?
    • There are mysterious marks on the counter (back of the boot). They sort of look like pencil markings, but I don't want to put an eraser to the boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What to do?

- Josh

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Hey guys, thinking about parting with my boots, they don't get as much wear as I'd like them. Cognac, 42/9 D, worn about 2 times outside. Perfect condition other than the sole. Go ahead and shoot me an offer if interested!

15. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

How does the color of the congac compare to the color of tricker's Acorn? Is it ligher or darker?

16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have seen a guy today in my office wearing them. I had no idea Aldo makes men shoes !! Anyway I asked him where he got them from to my surprise he said they are from Aldo (i was thinking more of English boots). Came home done a online search then searched on SF. Beautiful so much info on these Mr B's on sf. Tempted now. Not sure prices here in Australia. The guy at work mentioned something around 200+ didn't pay attention as I was expecting them to be garbage . Anyway they have 30% off sale in Sydney till next Sunday.
    Now second problem how could I pop in to a Aldo store ....store full with chicks ! And carrying the big Aldo box al the way from city to my home 50 min train ride.Hmm.......:embar:

17. Patek

Patek Senior member

I would be less afraid of entering a woman's store than somone that I know running into me and saying "I knew your shoes were not EG!"

To fix this problem, stop by your favorite men's store and ask your friendly SA for an extra bag.

Anyone post pictures of the grey version yet?

18. robe5k

robe5k New Member

[​IMG]
    This new bordeaux color showed up on the website today. I ordered the brown ones because the lady I spoke with on the phone said that this color didn't exist. Now, less than a week later its right there on the website. The shoe itself is very nice. I'm very pleased with the comfort and overall design, now I've got to go through the hassle of returning them and waiting on a new pair.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, in general those are pretty sloppy. Must have been made by a drunk employee or noob. Reminds me of the bad stitching when you see a fake Burberry or something.

Not much you can do other than accept them as is or swap them out. The Pencil mark looks a bit like glue. An eraser shouldnt hurt.

20. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

I went to one of the aldo stores today and saw the bordeaux colored boots. I found them to be nice in color. The other colors brown and cognac were in stock as well. The brown seems to be a consistant chocolate color while the cognac seems to differ depending on the shoe. The construction seems great for 175 but the peforations seem pretty sloppy as do the color of some of the shoes.

I decided to get the shoe and not the boot. I ended up with the gray brogue shoe. The shoe in store was lighter than the one in the box. I ended up hoping ordering one would be lighter instead of taking the one in store. I think that maybe they use the same amount of polish/stain no matter the size of shoe so the smaller sizes seem to be darker then the larger sizes. I had the sales associate bring out a bunch of shoes and sizes to see the color difference.

I do recommend sizing down. This is a nice shoe/boot at this price point but the perforations do seem sloppy but at this price point what else is there?