• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. BIlly's Handmade Shoes - Shanghai

joshuadowen

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of moving to Shanghai for work. I've come across a few listings online for this place called Mr. Billy's Handmade shoes, and was wondering if anyone could speak to their quality, or provide any other firsthand information.

This is the only listing I've found that provides any pictures, as the shop's website seems to be down:
http://vip.enjoyshanghai.com/shopping/shoes/billywang-hand-made-shoes-work-office_4078.htm

Any thoughts or accounts?

Yimmerman

Reaction score
While I have no information to add at this time, I am very interested on this question: In fact, I've been planning to get a pair from him for some time now.

Edit: I remember that the price range was somewhere between RMB 900 to RMB 1,500 (more expensive for boots), Source: website when it was still up

Last edited:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
While I have no information to add at this time, I am very interested on this question: In fact, I've been planning to get a pair from him for some time now.

Edit: I remember that the price range was somewhere between RMB 900 to RMB 1,500 (more expensive for boots), Source: website when it was still up

That's pretty cheap. I guess that might answer the quality question, but it does make it a pretty small investment to at least try a pair.

sola66

Reaction score
These guys are swindlers! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! I sent in a pair of sandals to be copied, and they charged me $140 USD, took over a year to get them back to me (even though shipping was said to be included, they refused once they were done, so I had to pay twice!), never returned my original sandals, and to top it all off, THEY WERE NOT EVEN REAL LEATHER!!! TERRIBLE BUSINESS!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These guys are swindlers! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! I sent in a pair of sandals to be copied, and they charged me $140 USD, took over a year to get them back to me (even though shipping was said to be included, they refused once they were done, so I had to pay twice!), never returned my original sandals, and to top it all off, THEY WERE NOT EVEN REAL LEATHER!!! TERRIBLE BUSINESS!

A very robust first post. Welcome to Styleforum sola66.

polloloco

Reaction score
Gents, any updates on Mr. Billy?

Just moved to Shanghai and looking for some dress shoe options (~150-200USD). I took a look at the shopping malls (Ballys, Gucci, Boss etc) during my initial search but nothing jumped out at me.

Any information about Billy? Other brands worth a look at this price point? Loding? Any information is appreciated.

Ds307

Reaction score
I know I’m resurrecting this post from the dead but after my experience with Mr Billy’s shoes I think I need to enlighten people.

So months ago I went in and asked for a quote for some shoes, the prices are higher than the website. I paid 1,600 for my pair. He measured my feet and we talked a tiny bit about the shoes; heel height, colour and style. But, he really didn’t go into much depth at this point. I sent a couple of pictures and instructions. He said I could come back in a week for the first fitting.

So after 1 week I go for the fitting, shoes are way too big and the style is quite different to what I want. Turns out he got my order mixed up with someone else’s. He says my shoes won’t actually be ready to try for another week. Considering I’m in Nanjing and it is a 1-2 hour train journey to get to Shanghai I really wish he was better at communicating.

I go back a week later, try on my shoes, don’t fit great but he says that this is normal at this stage. Also there is brogue detailing on the shoe which I have never asked for, I tell him this and he says it will be fixed next time. I say I will be back in 1 or 2 weeks.

1 week later the shoes are not finished, so I go back the next weekend. While I’m on the train to Shanghai he tells me he’s not in town. So a wasted trip.

Finally, 2 whole months after starting the process I will be collecting the shoes tomorrow. I have received a video of the final shoes, colour looks a lot darker than what I had specified at the beginning of the process. But maybe this is just due to the lighting/camera.

Over these 2 months I only received 1 picture update and the photo was actually of someone else’s shoes, not the ones I had ordered.

Regardless of how the shoes turn out, I would NEVER order another pair of shoes from this guys, he’s rude, bad at communicating and disorganised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads