• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MPG per liter, not BHP per liter…

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
When is the day going to come when people start comparing how high the MPG is in their cars per liter, instead of the BHP per liter? Jon.
Well, have you noticed that in automotive reviews in, say, the UK, they list how much you fuel consume per 100 km versus how many miles per gallon as over here? I am sure there is some significance to that. Not sure what though. For the time being my money is on multirail diesels (like an Alfa 147 JTD
biggrin.gif
)

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about BHP-hours per gallon?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When is the day going to come when people start comparing how high the MPG is in their cars per liter, instead of the BHP per liter?

Jon.

You can take the lead by tearing out all the extra stuff in your Audi. I bet those seats weigh 100lbs each. Put in some out of an old Honda. Tear out all the sound deadening stuff, probably another 100lbs or so there. Take out the full size spare and get a donut spare. Etc. You could probably gain a few percent to your MPG.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You can take the lead by tearing out all the extra stuff in your Audi. I bet those seats weigh 100lbs each. Put in some out of an old Honda. Tear out all the sound deadening stuff, probably another 100lbs or so there. Take out the full size spare and get a donut spare. Etc. You could probably gain a few percent to your MPG.

Dude, I have to get gas every 2 - 2 1/2 weeks, my MPG is just fine (avg. 30 mpg). But, I rather own a car that did not use oil and got 3 times more 'mpg' than what i get now.

Jon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dude, I have to get gas every 2 - 2 1/2 weeks, my MPG is just fine (avg. 30 mpg). But, I rather own a car that did not use oil and got 3 times more 'mpg' than what i get now.

Jon.

lashout_bicycle-1.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No dude... thats an ELECTRIC bike... which, depending on what part of the world you are in, either pollutes the atmosphere by burning coal, kills millions bats and birds a year with giant wind turbines, chokes off the salmon's natural river habitats with dams and makes it much easier for predators to eat their young in upstream spawning grounds, or is safe, clean nuclear power...until you get Homer Simpson behind the controls and florida goes Three Mile Island... (maybe there WILL be enough Social Security left for me after all!)

Much better than a car!

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want a nuclear powered car. that would be freakin awesome.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
i want a nuclear powered car. that would be freakin awesome.

until cold fusion, i reckon bio fuel's gonna be the way forward, hyrdogen fuel cells aint gonna be **** till they can isolate and compress hydrogen in an eco-friendly way.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Well, have you noticed that in automotive reviews in, say, the UK, they list how much you fuel consume per 100 km versus how many miles per gallon as over here? I am sure there is some significance to that. Not sure what though.
The only real significance is that the EU96 unit for fuel economy defines it as such. They could have just as easily gone with km/L instead of 100x the reciprocal of that. I don't think MPG/L will ever be a meaningful unit, because it includes factors as wide ranging as the innate efficiency of the engine, gear ratios, unsprung mass, and rolling resistance. Some slow-revving GM slug connected to a gearbox so wide that first is a stump puller and top has you at 1200rpm on the freeway is is always going to seem more efficient on paper than a good engine powering reasonably-sized rolling stock through a well-chosen set of ratios. But in the real world it won't be. If you want better fuel economy, take sensible (and fun-enhancing) steps like lower your car's unsprung mass through techniques such as using smaller, lighter wheels shod with narrower tires. Also, buy the smallest engine for a given chassis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads