Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MP3 / AAC what do you use?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by imageWIS, Nov 28, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm trying to decide if I should use AAC 192 kbps or MP3 192 Kbps VBR Normal Stereo...

I'm using a 4th Generation 20 GB iPod and 192 kbps seems to be the best quality to size ratio for me. I listen to a wide range of music but really will not sample and encode different genres / individual CD's using different bit rates and encoding types each time. I am looking for the best overall option.

Experience and / or advice anyone?

Jon.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I think 224 VBR Mp3 works the best for me and my iPod. Go to www.bestmp3guide.com and learn there how to rip the best possible MP3s. You will notice a much much better bass response with a properly ripped mp3. To be honest I have little to no experience with AAC.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I use a 3rd Gen 15, and my MP3s vary in quality depending on how far back I ripped them. I currently use 192 kbps MP3, they work fine for me, they sound fine on my car stereo when played through my iTrip, and through my in-ear headphones.

A lot of people I know swear by .ogg, but it severely limits their player and software options, and I am dyed-in-the-wool Apple.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, I think for me 224 kbps VBR is too high of a bit rate for all the music I have / room I want free for additional songs. Obviously it will sound a bit better than 192 kbps VBR, without causing HDD reading lapses that 320 kbps VBR can cause. But, at the same time 192 kbps VBR is sufficient for the two headsets I will normally use with my iPod: Sony MDR-A35 and Sony MDR-V150. I tested several simple classical music selections (piano pieces by Chopin and Beethoven string trios) and I found that the quality of ripping MP3's with CDex (LAME version 1.30, engine 3.92 MMX) Bit rate set at min. 192 kbps max. 320 kbps, at a Quality setting of "˜alt-preset-standard' with "˜VBR 2', is almost indistinguishable from MP3's ripped with iTunes (ver. 4.7.0.42) set at 192 kbps VBR set at the "˜Highest' quality and "˜Normal Stereo' settings. Although I will admit that for some reason (as Ernest would say in English: A certain I don't know what) some classical music AAC's encoded with iTunes at 192 kbps sounded at times a tad better than MP3's ripped with iTunes at the aforementioned settings. Though, a comparison of techno music proved that MP3 was clearly the winner. Thus, I will rip everything as MP3's in iTunes...especially since it takes twice the work to rip them in CDex, which in turn sounded the same as MP3's ripped in iTunes and have an odd way of tagging MP3's (using CDDB) that makes one rename MP3's once they have been uploaded to the iTunes play list, which is just a colossal waste of time. Jon.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

cooler than the ipod. johnny.[​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ah...no. Plus Sony's ATRAC format is not the miracle they make it out to be. Give me MP3's / AAC's any day. There is a reason why the iPod outsells every other MP3 player out there, and it's not the friggin' click wheel. On top of which I did not ask if you though the iPod was cool or not, but rather my question was in which format and at which quality settings / bit rate do you create them at? Jon.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

many minidisc players have optical and mic line inputs, meaning you can make field recordings or record any show directly from the mixing board in uncompressed audio. atrac is garbage, ill agree, but WAV and mp3 are not.

minidisc players are an audio tool, whereas ipods are a toy.

as far as mp3 goes, ill agree with what was said above. high quality VBR about 192-320 is great.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I never said MP3's were garbage, please read what I wrote. Well, since MiniDiscs cannot hold as much music as an MP3 player, you are merely comparing apples to oranges. As well, your original post was that of a Mini player with the caption "cooler than iPod", hardly an expression of your impressiveness with the Mini's technical abilities "in the field". BTW: you can record sound directly onto the iPod, in uncompressed file formats, if you so wish: [​IMG] I'm just curious at how you arrived to the idea that the iPod is a toy? Jon.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

read warp records' demo submission policy, you'll understand.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Super off topic. I'm sorry. I'm sure nobody asked, but I happen to hate the I-pod, and this is one of the many reasons. Now don't get me wrong, I don't really like RealNetworks any more than I like a poke in the eye, but I hate Apple even more. Here is the article about Apple's newest gen I-pods and their fight to make sure you can't listen to anything but Apple's brand of music. I pretty much refuse to support Apple in any way because I don't agree with the way they sell their products, or themselves. Apple just pisses me off. Again, I'm sorry. And as far as the topic goes, I really think VBR MP3's is the way to go. And I like minidisc's too. ATRAC isn't that bad.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Interesting, but you can file this under "I don't give a shit". The reason being that if you download songs from either Real or iTunes, you are basically getting ripped off either way. Why? Because, you pay the same amount for a vast inferior quality of sound per song than you would with vastly superior CD's. Companies can use the catch phrase like "near CD-quality" or "like CD-quality" all they like, but lets face reality, "near" or "like" is not CD-quality, whether the format is .ram, mp3, AAC, etc... you get less bang for your buck when you purchase songs online. I find more honesty in copying a CD from a friend and mailing the artist / band / group / orchestra a dollar or two in cash then paying Apple / Real $.99 for a 128 AAC. It's not that Apples tactics are despicable; it's the entire industry's. Jon.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Just out of curiosity:

When is the last time you sent a band money for ripping a CD or downloading a song for free? Do you tell them what the money is for?

"Hey, I just illegally copied your CD from my neighbor and wanted you to have this dollar so I'd feel more honest."

Now, it's not that I disagree with you, but I've pretty much stopped deluding myself and decided to enjoy the free art while it lasts.

It's people like us, my friend, that are making I-pod's so expensive. Because when you pay 99c for a song on I-tunes, Apple is barely breaking even. The royalties they pay on music to the record company and the bandwith fees, pretty much make sure nobody but the record company makes any money. Apple has decided to recoup the profit margin on the music by attaching it to the I-pod and then trying to make damn sure that you can ONLY play I-tunes music on your I-pod. It makes business sense, but its kind of a dick move if you ask me. Especially since they've already saturated the market with these stupid things, and now they are trying to tell people how to use them.

my 02 cents

13. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

many minidisc players have optical and mic line inputs, meaning you can make field recordings or record any show directly from the mixing board in uncompressed audio. atrac is garbage, ill agree, but WAV and mp3 are not.

minidisc players are an audio tool, whereas ipods are a toy.

as far as mp3 goes, ill agree with what was said above. high quality VBR about 192-320 is great.

Hey, you seem like a Minidisc guy, so you might know:

How do you get a recording OFF a Minidisc and onto a PC? Today a friend needed me to take a concert recording from MD and put it onto a CD - I eventually just put a line-in into my PC and recorded it through the sound card.

Is there an easy way? Can you convert those .hma files somehow? Just curious, I guess.

edit: MD players have an awesome eject action. Very dramatic. I could just sit here all day clicking the open button and having it go KA-CHACK!

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I use WMA-lossless. All of my music is ripped from CD to my media center pc for play on my home stereo. I don't have an ipod and don't expect to buy one either. It annoys me that everyone walks around shut-off from the world these days.

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Perhaps they are wary of the social decay that lurks around every corner.