• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to UK from the USA: Any Major Style Differences?

EricBlackmann

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be moving to the UK, Scotland in specific, this fall for university and was wondering if there are any styling differences I should note. I won't be trying too hard to "blend in with the locals," such things are a fools errand. And I already dress to a certain standard; that is, I don't frequently wear shorts or flip-flops, so I can't imagine that I will be too much of a sore thumb.
However, my father -- who lived in Europe for many years in the 90s -- suggested that I ought to buy clothes once I move for, beyond saving on luggage space or stamps, small things such as the cut of shirts and fabrics employed can differ slightly but noticeably.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be moving to the UK, Scotland in specific, this fall for university and was wondering if there are any styling differences I should be note. I won't be trying to hard to "blend in with the locals," such things are a fools errand. And I already dress to a certain standard; that is, I don't frequently wear shorts or flip-flops, so I can't imagine that I will be too much of a sore thumb.
However, my father -- who lived in Europe for many years in the 90s -- suggested that I ought to buy clothes once I move for, beyond saving on luggage space or stamps, small things such as the cut of shirts and fabrics employed can differ slightly but noticeably.

Thanks for any help

I think if you dress on the classic side you will be fine. They will know you are an American anyway... :)

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don’t try and go full british straight away. You’ll look like you’re in costume or trying to hard. Just go for the classic stuff, but no board shorts and flip flops.

Chouan

Reaction score
And no tartan, no matter how tempted you might feel......

papa kot

Reaction score
You'll be in for a surprise. Long story short: unless your upbringing included private schools and top tier colleges on the East Coast, you will be in for a surprise. No matter what you do, you'll stick out as an American. Don't fight it. Embrace it. Remember that certain strata of the American society have been developing a keen sense of style for quite some time and you do not need to become a Scotsman overnight. (Nor should you.)

The following may hurt some red blooded Americans but it is also true based on my observations in decades of travel.

Learn how to eat properly. There is a difference between American and Continental styles. Whatever style you choose, stick with it. In general Europeans tend to show a bit more manners at the table.

Brown shoes are informal. Black shoes are formal.

Shirts, trousers, and sport coats are not reserved for special occasions. You may see many humble people doing their daily chores wearing the items reserved for a night out in the States.

Don't be a typical American tourist. Look up the worst habits of Americans abroad and avoid them. There are too many nuances to list here. How you eat, what you say, how you interact with the elderly.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Athleisure a uniquely American phenomenon?

I don't know the answer to this.....but as much as I would never wear it, I will defend the rights of women to wear yoga pants all day!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YOU XXX-IST!

I joke. But in all seriousness, I live in a nice part of LA and go to Equinox....most of the yoga pants I see are a boon to society.
Something in the water at Equinox as the one in the Gold Coast of Chicago sports a similar clientele.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something in the water at Equinox as the one in the Gold Coast of Chicago sports a similar clientele.

At Equinox its either cucumber or $$$.

So green either way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads