• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Moving to UK from the USA: Any Major Style Differences?

EricBlackmann

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be moving to the UK, Scotland in specific, this fall for university and was wondering if there are any styling differences I should note. I won't be trying too hard to "blend in with the locals," such things are a fools errand. And I already dress to a certain standard; that is, I don't frequently wear shorts or flip-flops, so I can't imagine that I will be too much of a sore thumb.
However, my father -- who lived in Europe for many years in the 90s -- suggested that I ought to buy clothes once I move for, beyond saving on luggage space or stamps, small things such as the cut of shirts and fabrics employed can differ slightly but noticeably.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be moving to the UK, Scotland in specific, this fall for university and was wondering if there are any styling differences I should be note. I won't be trying to hard to "blend in with the locals," such things are a fools errand. And I already dress to a certain standard; that is, I don't frequently wear shorts or flip-flops, so I can't imagine that I will be too much of a sore thumb.
However, my father -- who lived in Europe for many years in the 90s -- suggested that I ought to buy clothes once I move for, beyond saving on luggage space or stamps, small things such as the cut of shirts and fabrics employed can differ slightly but noticeably.

Thanks for any help
I think if you dress on the classic side you will be fine. They will know you are an American anyway... :)

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don’t try and go full british straight away. You’ll look like you’re in costume or trying to hard. Just go for the classic stuff, but no board shorts and flip flops.

Chouan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And no tartan, no matter how tempted you might feel......

DanielStone

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be moving to the UK, Scotland in specific, this fall for university and was wondering if there are any styling differences I should note. I won't be trying too hard to "blend in with the locals," such things are a fools errand. And I already dress to a certain standard; that is, I don't frequently wear shorts or flip-flops, so I can't imagine that I will be too much of a sore thumb.

Thanks for any help
Thanks for the advice dude, I agree with you on everything. One of the most important is a high-quality tracking system, because many of my friends were faced with the fact that their things were not tracked during transportation. I, unlike everyone, collaborated with one of the best long distance moving companies and I had no problems with transporting things from Berlin to America. The luggage was delivered very quickly and tracked throughout the journey. So choose a very reliable company to transport your belongings or cars.

papa kot

Reaction score
You'll be in for a surprise. Long story short: unless your upbringing included private schools and top tier colleges on the East Coast, you will be in for a surprise. No matter what you do, you'll stick out as an American. Don't fight it. Embrace it. Remember that certain strata of the American society have been developing a keen sense of style for quite some time and you do not need to become a Scotsman overnight. (Nor should you.)

The following may hurt some red blooded Americans but it is also true based on my observations in decades of travel.

Learn how to eat properly. There is a difference between American and Continental styles. Whatever style you choose, stick with it. In general Europeans tend to show a bit more manners at the table.

Brown shoes are informal. Black shoes are formal.

Shirts, trousers, and sport coats are not reserved for special occasions. You may see many humble people doing their daily chores wearing the items reserved for a night out in the States.

Don't be a typical American tourist. Look up the worst habits of Americans abroad and avoid them. There are too many nuances to list here. How you eat, what you say, how you interact with the elderly.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40