• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to St. Louis?

mr. magoo

Reaction score
It looks increasingly likely I am moving to St. Louis from the NYC area. I'm not from the area, but have visited a couple times to interview for a new job and to look around.

I have the basics down, such as having to answer that I didn't go to high school in St. Louis, public schools suck, that Delmar is big dividing line and that the pizza has weird cheese on it.

What other interesting and unique things do I need to know about the city to evaluate the move and to make the transition better?

Stewbone

Reaction score
I live across the river about 20 min from the city.

Do you know what part of Stl your be moving to?

p.s. your be happy to know that St louis has one of the best sewer systems in the usa.
blush.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
be rich and white (better yet Jewish) and you should be okay, provided you like things to be very, very boring.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
Do you know what part of Stl your be moving to?

If it happens, we'd probably be in U City or one of the closer neighborhoods (Central West End, Tower Grove, etc.)

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
be rich and white (better yet Jewish) and you should be okay, provided you like things to be very, very boring.

I'm white and married, so things are already very, very boring. And after living in NY, I think "rich" is a relative term. There are industries here where the many, many people make millions per year. For a beautiful house in a desirable neighborhood in St. Louis, I can purchase a 2 BR apt.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up there and my folks still live there. I love the city, but perhaps due in part to sentimental reasons. I hate baseball, but I learned that if I pretend I like the Cardinals, it's a great conversation starter with anyone there.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember my brother driving through st. louis and getting off at a wrong exit....ending up in a somewhat shady section of town...pulls into a fire station to ask directions and is told "you certainly are ******* lost, you want to go that way.."

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....also, learn to like hockey and their ill-fortuned St .Louis Blues

Stewbone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
If it happens, we'd probably be in U City or one of the closer neighborhoods (Central West End, Tower Grove, etc.)

Oh cool, im down in the loop (delmar) quite a bit, its def. a college place. I'd say university city is a nice, the Zoo is nearby too.

Obama's favorite pizza is also in delmar in a place called Pi.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best food in town is at the Saint Louis Club.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've lived in the area for about two and a half years, and I'm loving it so far. (I'm in the Delmar Loop.) It certainly doesn't compare to NYC, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

One thing you might want to take into account is that if you live in the City of St. Louis, you'll be subject to a 1% earnings tax. (U City is not within the city of St. Louis. CWE and Tower Grove are.) Generally speaking, though, the cost of living here as very, very low.

If you're a baseball fan, it's a wonderful place to live. But I've never seen more spoiled baseball fans in my life. If the Cards are anything less than undefeated, the locals talk about them as if they're the Pirates! (As a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I find this behavior extremely odd.)

We have a Neiman Marcus and a Saks here, but both are mediocre at best. Nordstrom will be opening soon.

The weird cheese on pizzas here is called Provel. You'll have no problem getting a pizza without it!

Pat

Reaction score
in terms of shopping and dining, st. louis is pretty bad.

there are very few choices for the serious diner, and there are no stores that carry any of the brands popular in the street wear and denim forum here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pat
in terms of shopping ... st. louis is pretty bad ... there are no stores that carry any of the brands popular in the street wear and denim forum here.
Don't feel bad. I'm more of an MC type ... and while I find that San Francisco, Seattle and New York don't do it for me -- I'm very picky about the tailors I'll put on my back -- one can certainly dress decently with what is available in St. Louis.

Originally Posted by Pat
in terms of ... dining, st. louis is pretty bad ... there are very few choices for the serious diner ...
It's not NYC ... but there are definitely some decent dining options. Just buy a Zagat guide ... or better yet, subscribe to it on-line.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreeing with Pat here, but if you have a family and want a nice place to live, St. Louis is a nice place. Just don't adopt the $500,000 net worth aristocrat attitude or you'll fall into a suburban exile and just wish for many things that the city will never offer. St. Louis is a fancy big small town, and it's good at that.

darnelled

Reaction score
I don't live there, but am nearby and visit regularly.
I like the west side of the city (Clayton or Chesterfiled areas).
The dining is good, airport is big enough for a good selection of non-stop flights out
and I take my car to the nearby Gateway Speedway for trackdays.

http://www.stlpdx.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads