• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moving to Paris - insider help please

bapelolol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Which neighborhood? I ate in a few good ones recently in the Canal St Martin area.

I`m pretty familiar with that area already, looking for good value within 1 - 11, 14 - 15.

bapelolol

Reaction score

For cobblers, my favorite is Dominique Barilero (5 rue AmÃ
00a9.png
lie, 75007 Paris), who comes from John Lobb... He's fast, good, not so expensive, and sells the best crepe soles IMO.

Just got topy's done here.

Recommended, reasonable price, quick turnaround and good finishing.

Closed from now - September for vacation.

Lohengrin

Reaction score
(Very long-time lurker posting here :) )

I've lived in Paris for a few years now... here are my favorites.

A good alteration tailor for minor alterations (cuffs, etc) is Styl'Up on Rue Pasquier (quite trendy, but very good alterations nonetheless)

Good dry cleaners are Pouyanne/Parfait (too expensive), Pressing de la Madeleine, and Simone

Good shoe cobblers are Cattelan (I always go there, he's extremely nice and knowledgable), Rachid on Rue Boursault (talented but not that nice), and Dominique Barilero.

You asked about Duret, the products are very nice, but expensive, and they do not make anything themselves as far as I know. If you want the "real" thing, you might want to go to Atelier du bracelet parisien (watchstraps), Jean Rousseau (used to work for Hermès), and Camille Fournet.

If you're looking for "unique" things, go to Maison Bonnet, the last (?) tortoiseshell objets (including eyewear) maker.

If you like tea, apart from Mariage frères, you can go to Chajin (Rue Pasquier) for Japanese tea, Toraya (rue saint florentin) for Japanese tea and fine pastry, and Maison des Trois Thés on rue Saint Medard for the finest Chinese teas in the Western world (no kidding).

Good bars could be Bar du Plaza Athénée (but super expensive and too trendy), the Hemingway (Ritz bar, famous for the old-style cocktail), and Harry's New York Bar (extremely nice cocktails, piano bar during the evening, less expensive than the Ritz).

If you work in the 13th I suggest that you live in the 6th or 7th, or even the 5th though there are a lot of tourists. 2nd and 3rd are not that nice to live.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads